PDA

View Full Version : hydrolic lifter replacement

pul16v
09-05-07, 05:14 PM
i will be replaceing my lifters in the next few day and was wondering if its possible to do with out removeing the head bolts eg useing one of them cam removal tools
if not can it be done with out replaceing the head gasket as its only just been done within last few weeks

cheers phil

craig green
09-05-07, 05:16 PM
If its an 8v yeah. Not sure about 16v. I would assume so but it will involve removing the cam belt & what not.

Adam
09-05-07, 05:39 PM
Yeah you can do it with the cam removal tool.

I take the cambelt off, set the crank to about 50deg BTDC(all pistons level)
So then you can rotate the cam giving you enough space get the removal tool in.

Then when everythings back together, set the cam to tdc, then turn the crank forward to tdc.
And fit the belt.

pul16v
09-05-07, 05:40 PM
brill that will save me some time and pissing about cheers LLTN n craig

mowgli
09-05-07, 07:42 PM
If you don't have a cam removal tool, it is possible to drain the coolant (just in case), undo the head bolts & lift the cam carrier off without disturbing the head gasket. I did it on an astra diesel at work when one of the lads snapped the cambelt jumping a bridge & changing down at the same time. it took out 3 followers & I had some lying around so I cobbled it together.
6 months later he jumped it into a ford (the wet 2' deep kind) & stuck a rod thru the side.

bump
09-05-07, 08:59 PM
Did you point out that a horse more be a more appropriate mode of transport for him?