PDA

View Full Version : Problem, help please.

Anonymous
29-01-02, 12:03 PM
I have an annoying problem with my car. It?s a mk2 sr with a 2.0l 8v cav engine. There?s this dodgy noise coming from the front passengers side of the car. I know how difficult it can be to diagnose a problem from a noise, and how easily one type of noise can be another type of problem.

Anyway, the noise is a tap / banging noise. It sounds like something banging on the inside of the wing. It doesn?t do it at any particular time. Sometimes when Im driving down a straight flat road at a constant speed, sometimes when im cornering, or braking, or between gears. It sort of does a bit of a rattle and then a bang.

Also my steering seems to be getting heavier, I have checked the tyre pressure to see if that was the problem but it wasn?t. The steering feels like it gets stuck and then all of a sudden free?s itself up when Im driving along.

I know it?s difficult to tell without hearing it yourself but its doing my nut in now.

any ideas ?

:D:D 2.0l 8v. It actually works !!!! :D:D

Anonymous
29-01-02, 09:55 PM
Sounds like the rack and pinion maybe worn unless something else is hanging down and binding on the trackrod ends?
Have you jacked it up and checked the inner CV's etc etc?

Anonymous
30-01-02, 10:45 AM
With regards to the tapping thing, i have EXACTLY THE SAME thing happening in mine.
Tends to be when im flat out in top gear, but sometimes cornerin or dropping down a gear, sounds like a tumble dryer goin round with nothin in it or someone tappin a spanner on the passenger side wing.

Ive put mine down to tappets, need one of those tappet thingys to check if one aint functioning or out of sequence etc.

Vauxhall Nova - Defined in Spain
REFINED IN ENGLAND.

novagrant@talk21.com

""Formally Novaheat 612""

Anonymous
30-01-02, 12:10 PM
I have jacked it up and had look several times. The first thing I noticed was that theres a bit of metal onthe gearbox housing which is catching on the anit roll bar, I have cut a bit of it off and Im going to use some spacers to push the anti roll bar down about 25mm. The second thing I noticed was that the end of bolt that goes through the passengers side engine mount was catching on the gearbox, so I have cut the end of this bolt off. I though that this might solve the problem but it still does it.

CP - when you say check the inner CV's what exactly do you mean by check ?

what should I be looking for ?

Anonymous
30-01-02, 12:16 PM
I have jacked it up and had look several times. The first thing I noticed was that theres a bit of metal onthe gearbox housing which is catching on the anit roll bar, I have cut a bit of it off and Im going to use some spacers to push the anti roll bar down about 25mm. The second thing I noticed was that the end of bolt that goes through the passengers side engine mount was catching on the gearbox, so I have cut the end of this bolt off. I though that this might solve the problem but it still does it.

CP - when you say check the inner CV's what exactly do you mean by check ?

what should I be looking for ?