PDA

View Full Version : did vauxhall ever make a 1.8 small block engine?

loftusgsi
09-05-07, 01:35 PM
i have just been offered a 1.8 mk2 astra gte engine and apparently its a small block engine, if so does that mean that i can put the engine into my GSI and use the original f16 box and shafts etc for the running gear?hmmm it has been confusing me for some time so i thought id ask you guys and see who knows what.
thanks for any feedback u may have it will be much appreciated

Stuart
09-05-07, 01:41 PM
the gsi never came with an F16 as std... the F16 is a big block gear box

the 1.8 did get a small block version BUT this was around 1998ish which puts a MK2 astra engine into big block area.

Adam
09-05-07, 01:43 PM
The only small block 1.8 vaux made, is the Sri engine in a Corsa "C"

So to fit the engine you have is the same process as a big block xe/2L

Sirnixalot
09-05-07, 01:44 PM
x18xe1 and z18xe are both small block these were used in the 98 and up corsa's, astra's, mervia's and zafria's (maybe a few more cars)
the c18xe and x18xe are big block

loftusgsi
09-05-07, 01:46 PM
right so what would be the easiest way of fitting the engine?any ideas?is it going to be basically having to go the full way and get the shafts and all the extras, sames ones as for the 2litre conversion?or would there be a cheaper way or easier way?

Adam
09-05-07, 01:51 PM
You will need a mount kit.
The engine bay stitch welding
A set of 22spline nova driveshafts(fitted with mk2 cav 1.6 inner cv's and nova outers)

loftusgsi
09-05-07, 01:59 PM
cheers for that.gotta admit im kinda gutted but i guess the owner of the engine has been given wrong info as i thought.think im still going to have to go for it bcoz iv got the charger kit ready to go on it.will certainly be good fun, supernova here we come! :D

craig green
09-05-07, 03:01 PM
Its definately a big block motor. One option is to fit it up with an F15 of F13 g/box from a GSi Nova or Corsa & use the shafts from a Nova GSi too. You will just need to deal with the drivers side engine mount & alt clearance.

The other bit to sort will be a flywheel & clutch to fit your bell housing & the bolt pattern on the 1.8's crank. Std Nova GTE stuff should do the trick.

So from that all you need is the engine & a clutch.

loftusgsi
10-05-07, 12:19 AM
now thats interesting bcoz the guy who has the engine has bought another clutch so i wonder if he knew this (as he was goin to put it in a nova himself) and got it. if so, it really can be done with just the f13 box and altering the mounts somehow.any other tricky/sticky bits i should know about before starting the job?just so i know what im in for really

cheers for the advice ppl

Stuart
10-05-07, 08:13 AM
to be honest its FAR easier and less of a "bodge" to fit the big block engine with the F16/F20 big block box.... fitting a big block lump to a small block gearbox is a total PITA for next to no gain in terms of money or time saved..

craig green
10-05-07, 10:17 AM
I'm not really disputing that Stu, but surely sourcing new shafts & then spacing gearbox mounts over etc is extra hassle compared to using an engine with 15bhp more than what the F13 was intended for.

I see it as less hassle, esp as a lighter flywheel would be used aswell.

valverguy
10-05-07, 04:59 PM
dude get an f16 or f20. they so cheap people use them as door stops.