PDA

View Full Version : Pinking?

Anonymous
29-01-02, 12:39 PM
Just wondering if anyone can help with a problem i'm having. I've got a '93 GSi and about four weeks ago I got a new water pump fitted. Ever since then, if I put my foot down hard on the accelerator, usually at the bottom of the rev range, the engine pinks a little. It isn't a very attractive noise when you're trying to get a nice induction roar driving past people. Does anyone know what's wrong and how to stop it?

Cheers. Mike C :)

Anonymous
29-01-02, 02:05 PM
pinking at low revs? are you sure it isnt the cam cover thats loose? Id get 1 of ya m8s (presuming u have some) to pop huis head under ya bonnet as u rev the engine a little, and see if its the cam belt cover flappin about!!
Im sure pinking is usually over 4k rpm?

Anonymous
29-01-02, 10:07 PM
???Dicko??

It sounds like the ignition timing hasn't been set right after the water pump change. Take back to and get it set right or go to a place with a krypton tuning thingey.
Pre-ignition is most noticeable as you have described it Mike

Anonymous
30-01-02, 12:12 AM
ignition timing,do u mean the actual timing of the engine (cambelt a tooth out?). the ignitiojn timing cannot be altered on a 93 gsi if its multec injection (like on my sri) the computer advances and retard the timing acording to the o2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.

By the way my 93 sri also does this and i think it is because the head is skimmed, higher compression ratio (needs higher octane fuel?). if u find ot what is causing it pls tell me, hope this helps in some way.

live fast, die young, leave good looking corpse

Anonymous
30-01-02, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Mine has the multec injection and when me and my bro took it back to the garage where it got the new water pump, he did mention something about timing, but he wasn't sure about how to adjust it. Would a rolling road place be able to set the timing right, also would a superchip sort it? I better start saving! Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers. Mike C :)