View Full Version : My PVS challenge

Welsh Dan
08-05-07, 09:10 PM
I didn't see this as a project log (yet) so:

My PVS challenge is to get this fitted in time:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/challenge/engine1.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/challenge/engine2.jpg
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/challenge/engine3.jpg

Its a 1.2 carbed unit, the same as the one it'll be replacing, only this has around 25k on it and mine has around 130k on it.

Its looking a little dusty but I've scrubbed most of that off now, I was goind to properly degrease and paint the whole lot, but after starting to do that today I realised I won't have enough time. Before fitting it'll have a new cambelt & waterpump & alternator belt and as soon as its in it'll have a service.

I have some questions though, how long would it take a rookie on his own to swap these engines over? What type of oil should I use for 'running in', as its been in storage for 4-5 years, I have some 15w50, will that do?

What exactly is involved in removing the engine? I know I need to drain it, unplug everything, remove the driveshafts completely, support the engine while unbolting it and then finally lift the car up, but will the tie bars get in the way of lifting the car over the engine or am I missing anything else?

I've also aquired a 1.4SR cam, I know i'll need a different drive dizzy in order to use it, but its a bit rusty:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/challenge/cam1.jpg
can I fit it like that, or should I turn it on a lathe with some fine emery cloth first?

Cheers, wish me luck :).

big gra
08-05-07, 10:16 PM
to be honest matey your wasting your time replacing a 1.2 with a 1.2, myt aswel chuck a 1.3 or 1.4 sr in that will give you 5 gears, much better speed, my 1.2 did 95, my 1.4 does 120+, its exactly the same engine so no bodjing to get it to fit!

Adam
08-05-07, 10:19 PM
I agree with the above tbh.
If you do it tho, should have it done in a day easily, even for a first timer, Lol.

big gra
08-05-07, 10:24 PM
i got my engine out of the other nova in less than a day, stripped all the pats i wanted and then got it out the workshop,, next day got mine in and swapped the engines in a day! you should really consider it mate, all you need is a different downpipe and dizzy! your only in wrexham so if you need a hand give us a shout!

Welsh Dan
08-05-07, 11:28 PM
I know what you mean about fitting a bigger engine, when I do fit one it'll probably be a 1.6 though. The current engine smokes a lot, so this one is a stopgap until I source a suitable C16SE and the funds for the additional insurance premium.

Thanks for your offer of help though - I'll probably take you up on that :).

big gra
08-05-07, 11:46 PM
well to be honest i havent told my insurance i have a 1.4 because if you look at them they look exactly the same! i find i get better fuel econemy with a 5 speed box!

Welsh Dan
08-05-07, 11:49 PM
There's a 5 speed in the car at the moment and I've got an F13CR sat in the shed, so if this one has a 4 speed, I'll be changing it asap lol. Everything on my car is declared, I sleep better that way lol :p.

big gra
08-05-07, 11:53 PM
well if you want a hand before pvs, ive got a broken hand at the mo, get my cast off next tuesday, woop! as long as youv got an engine crane and the right tools we can prob get it done in a day!

Welsh Dan
08-05-07, 11:58 PM
Thanks. Not got an engine crane pre-say, but my grandad has a massive tripod (think scaffolding poles) and a block&tackle that he used to use for similar jobs, I seem to remember it being used to get the engine out of an old sunbeam we once had. I've got the socket for the castle nuts on the driveshafts, should be able to plunder dad's tools for the rest of the sockets, ratchets, torque wrenches etc- I'll check :).

Sundays & Tuesdays are my days off, I should have the belts and waterpump done by a week today so it'll be ready to fit..

big gra
09-05-07, 12:01 AM
i have tuesdays off college, get my cast off next tuesday so a week on tuesday should be ok!

Welsh Dan
09-05-07, 12:06 AM
Cool.

Is there an easy way to tell if the box is 4 or 5 speed?

big gra
09-05-07, 12:12 AM
im sure someone will know the codes, all i can say is fiddle around and try and see if there is a 5th gear! not many 1.2 novas came with 5th so youll be lucky\!

Adam
09-05-07, 12:32 AM
Couldn't see the pics earlier on, but dont fit that cam like that.
You'll have to clean it up first, i seriously doubt it will clean up, as it looks quite deeply rusted.
Dont sand too much material off, and thats costing you valuable valve lift,lol

burgo
09-05-07, 12:37 AM
boring!!! thats a days work, even for a beginner.

Novadex
09-05-07, 08:13 AM
I think its totally pointless tbh, i wouldnt go threw the trouble of a 1.2, 1.3 or a 1.4 conversion.. The minimal would be a 1600 GSI or GTE lump, otherwise its not worth the effort.

Stuart
09-05-07, 08:36 AM
1) dont use that cam, its shagged
2) its about 20 mins work to fit another engine
3) big gra, i hope you get raped by a black man with aids :p
4) most 1.2's ive been in have been 5 speed variants.... so that comment about them being rare is a bit sutpid.

craig green
09-05-07, 09:43 AM
20 mins! I'd like to see that.

big gra
09-05-07, 01:51 PM
20 mins! I'd like to see that.

so would i !!!!!

Adam
09-05-07, 01:53 PM
20mins maybe if you cut everything with a grinder instead of unbolting it,Lol.

L14MNP
09-05-07, 02:03 PM
20mins maybe if you cut everything with a grinder instead of unbolting it,Lol.

Yeah good idea, get Baxters help lol

20 mins is proper gas gutting gear scrap yard stylee :tard:

Stuart
09-05-07, 02:05 PM
ok maybe 25 mins then :p..... twas meant as a guide that swapping like for like engines wont take long.

hell i managed an engine swap with no maual etc with no engine crane on a car i didnt know in 5 hours lol

wisewood
09-05-07, 02:09 PM
dude - the car that your seats came from still has an engine in it :D if you have the necessary tools etc to remove it i'm sure i could talk the wife into letting you buy it.

big gra
09-05-07, 02:10 PM
Yeah good idea, get Baxters help lol

20 mins is proper gas gutting gear scrap yard stylee :tard:

they should have a contest at PVS who can get a nova through a foot square hole the quickest! anybody see that on top gear?

L14MNP
09-05-07, 02:12 PM
Dropped an engine out of a 205 GTi at the weekend, took 2.5 hours, nightmare, 'box kept catching the subframe or if it wasn't that it was the alternator, but by this point it was already practically sitting on the crossmember so couldn't easily unbolt the alternator.

Engine crane next time or in from underneath w/o the 'box lol

French $hit

wisewood
09-05-07, 02:12 PM
ps. I bet with the correct tools and someone to help swing the engines about, stu would be able to swap the engine in under half an hour.

Christ, with someone elses car i could probably do it myself in under an hour in those circumstances - and i know feck all about engines. Just colour code the hoses etc so you know where they go.

L14MNP
09-05-07, 02:15 PM
Battery powered impact gun and you're laughing IMO - biggest labour saving device for whipping engines out.

As for the foot square hole idea, just gun it full throttle at said hole, the only parts not rusted bad enough to disintegrate will be the block and the seats, should compact down enough at speed lol

Gotta love those Novas

big gra
09-05-07, 02:17 PM
its not the engine removal itself that takes the time, took me ages because i coulde4nt get the drive shafts out, little things like aquard bolts being seized take the most time!

L14MNP
09-05-07, 02:22 PM
its not the engine removal itself that takes the time, took me ages because i coulde4nt get the drive shafts out, little things like aquard bolts being seized take the most time!

Aye, if the car's in a state or just generally old I agree that's where the time goes...

When rebuilding use nice new bolts and grease things up well, for eg: I once made 'dust' covers for a lot of bolt heads/nuts etc (not nova) . that get covered in **** from being in dodgy areas. Not now though, just keep it clean lol

draper
09-05-07, 02:24 PM
i find removal is easy, its just getting it running again that i struggle with lol

Welsh Dan
09-05-07, 02:57 PM
dude - the car that your seats came from still has an engine in it :D if you have the necessary tools etc to remove it i'm sure i could talk the wife into letting you buy it.

Sounds like a plan, my current plan though is to see if dads mk3 astra fails its MOT in july - it has a C16SE in it that runs sweetly and would cost me nothing :).

EDIT: wouldn't mind your door cards though :thumb:

wisewood
09-05-07, 02:59 PM
boo. i want your money lol

we also have an exhaust :D magnex... its either manifold back or cat back, cant remember now.

draper
09-05-07, 03:03 PM
Sounds like a plan, my current plan though is to see if dads mk3 astra fails its MOT in july

easily sorted, just cut bits off it the night before lol

wisewood
09-05-07, 03:43 PM
EDIT: wouldn't mind your door cards though :thumb:

with or without winder holes? we have both lol

Welsh Dan
09-05-07, 03:47 PM
Without please. Do you have the door cappings and rear quarter inner panels aswell?

Clarky_man
09-05-07, 04:09 PM
get scrapper 1.6 cav use that engine easy job exactly the same as your 1.2 aint gotta change no mounts shafts or wiring just a straight swap easily done in a day an half

L14MNP
09-05-07, 04:12 PM
get scrapper 1.6 cav use that engine easy job exactly the same as your 1.2 aint gotta change no mounts shafts or wiring just a straight swap easily done in a day an half

Also available in English....

Get a 1600cc Cavalier that is un roadworthy, remove that engine and swap it into your Nova. It utilises the same mounts, drive shafts and wiring loom as your 1200cc. It is a straight swap, easily accomplished in one and a half days. lol

draper
09-05-07, 04:15 PM
pmsl at li4m

big gra
09-05-07, 04:44 PM
Also available in English....

Get a 1600cc Cavalier that is un roadworthy, remove that engine and swap it into your Nova. It utilises the same mounts, drive shafts and wiring loom as your 1200cc. It is a straight swap, easily accomplished in one and a half days. lol

lmfao,. it utilises,, haha very posh! lol

Welsh Dan
09-05-07, 04:45 PM
As said before, I dont have the funds for the additional insurance premium for a 1.6 at the moment, but one is planned for when I can :).

Welsh Dan
22-05-07, 11:32 PM
Well, with lots of help from Graham (Big Gra), its in, and it fires up.

A few in progress shots:
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/engineswap/S5000745.JPG
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/engineswap/S5000751.JPG
http://www.xen0phobiak.f2s.com/novaload/engineswap/S5000753.JPG

There's still a fair bit left to do though, as there were some subtle differences between the two engines that I hadn't noticed until it was fitted. The 'to do' list includes:
1) Find an open ended 11mm spanner so I can attach the fuel pump properly (the fuel pump on the new engine was knackered).
2) Buy a new top rad hose as the tube on the new engine is smaller than the old one, then fill it with coolant.
3) Drop the oil and put fresh in as I think there's way too much in there at the moment.
4) Swap the exhaust manifolds over because theres a stud snapped off in the new one that we hadn't noticed, then re-attach the exhaust.
5) Fit new plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm.
6) Spanner check everything on the front end.
7) Degrease my brakes as I had to use penetrating fluid to get the balljoints out of the steering knuckles, and I want to be sure none is on the discs/pads.
8) Check that the clutch is adjusted correctly.

I'm just happy that its in and runs though. Thanks again Graham :thumb:.

Chris
22-05-07, 11:34 PM
my 1.2 did 95, my 1.4 does 120+, its exactly the same engine so no bodjing to get it to fit!

LMFAO, stock 1.4?

Stoo
22-05-07, 11:35 PM
was dat in 7th gear wix Nozzzz

wisewood
23-05-07, 09:21 AM
Without please. Do you have the door cappings and rear quarter inner panels aswell?

Door cappings... i think so, but can't remember 100% if they're still in the nova that they drove away the other night lol The rear panels i am pretty sure are already in the garage at the in-laws. The door cards are at our house.

Welsh Dan
23-05-07, 10:19 PM
I managed to get the fuel pump issue sorted out today, I had to remove the throttle linkage and bend part of the cambelt cover in order to get a spanner in, and then bend it back once I was done. All but 2 of the exhaust studs came out of the head with the nuts so I had to pop them back in before fitting the manifold, but the good news is that it doesn't appear to be blowing :).

Tomorrow I should be dropping the oil (as it has too much in it), the coolant hose I need should be in at the local motor factors aswell so I should be able to get it filled up and then check for leaks...

Iain
23-05-07, 10:31 PM
Huzzah.

Spudly
24-05-07, 01:08 AM
my 1.4 does 120+

You mean your speedo tells you youre doing 120+ when in actual fact you will be doing about 100-110, if youre lucky!!
My old 1400SR speedo used to tell me i was heading towards where 130 would be on the clock if it were numbered, prob only about 115 really tho, dont ya just love vauxhall speedos and fuel guageslol lol lol lol :thumb:

Welsh Dan
24-05-07, 08:16 PM
Fluids are sorted. Coolant system isnt quite sorted yet but thats neither here nor there for now. Its only running on cylinders 1 and 4 though. I'll be borrowing a compression tester soon and will take it from there. What I do think is odd though, is that if you rev it to 3-4k it sounds like its running on all 4 again lol.

draper
25-05-07, 09:17 AM
spark plugs ok ??

wisewood
25-05-07, 09:33 AM
just run it on two - more economical :thumb:

Welsh Dan
25-05-07, 11:19 AM
spark plugs ok ??

I originally fitted the plugs & leads from the engine i took out, but i've tried new plugs aswell, and some leads i had laying about. I'm hoping compression is OK and that I just need to buy a new set of leads.

just run it on two - more economical :thumb:

Running on two, when it had no downpipe attached to it sounded rather akin to a V-twin engine :D

wisewood
25-05-07, 11:29 AM
probably about the same as running our GSi with no induction system on it the other day then lol

gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLL!!!

L14MNP
25-05-07, 11:29 AM
LOL my 14SR used to claim 120 mph when you wound it right up :S

Yeah, whatever, more like 105 according to Mr Road Angel

Welsh Dan
25-05-07, 11:40 PM
Well, after some tinkering today, I found out that those 2 cylinders are getting compression, the tester showed around 200psi for all 4. We set the timing on the dizzy and its running slightly better, then cleaned and checked the gap on all the spark plugs and tried some more old leads and it ran a bit better still. I think it sometimes runs on 3 now lol. I'll pick up a new set of leads tomorrow and take it from there. If that doesn't fix it then I'll be fitting the old dizzy & carb back on just to be sure.

Adam
26-05-07, 12:20 AM
Checked dizzy cap?

Welsh Dan
26-05-07, 01:03 AM
Yes, its had a new dizzy cap and rotor arm, and after having a look inside the new dizzy cap it is sending a spark to all 4.

Welsh Dan
28-05-07, 04:42 PM
After fitting a new set of bosch leads it started running much more smoothly, but was very rich, I had a tinker with the idle mixture screws but ran out of adjustment lol, so I swapped the carb over from the old engine and it seems to be idling fine now.

Current bad points:
Clutch has ceased.
With a wide open throttle it wants to stall.

Welsh Dan
12-06-07, 11:01 PM
I've completely missed PVS but she lives!

After fitting my old clutch+box, I found she had a transmission fluid leak from the end casing. I scraped the old gasket off and used some instant gasket type stuff, then found that the level plug wouldn't come out, my sockets kept kutting into the nut part of it. Much swearing later I decided to leave it in, and knowing how much fluid the box had in it anyway (measured what had leaked out), I topped it up. I discovered that my gearbox earth strap had snapped, so I made a temporary one from some 3-core mains cable and some ring terminals lol :D.

Current issues to sort out:
The exhaust is blowing a bit near the centrebox join, I just need to move the clamp back to its original position and that should fix that.
The crankcase oil breather needs connecting to the airbox.
I need to repair the terminal on the oil pressure sender that connects to the dial.
She's running a bit rich so I'll take her to the local garage to have the mixture set correctly.