PDA

View Full Version : Engine prob on corsa B 1.6 16v, misfire??

Spudly
08-05-07, 06:59 PM
As title, can anyone suggest ideas as to why my mates V reg corsa sport has a misfire on number 4 cylinder?

He was on the motorway yesterday back from Derby when it developed a misfire, the engine warning light came on and it started spewing oil type smoke from the exhaust so he ended up having to be recovered by the RAC!

We have tried new plugs and tested the lead for spark which it has, a very strong clean spark, next we tried running the engine with no plug in number four to see how much if any fuel was coming through, and there didnt appear to be any at all so then we thought injector problems.
We have now changed numbers 3 and 4 injectors over and the misfire is still on number 4.

Now we are scratching our heads and fast running out of ideas, any suggestions please peeps.

Cheers in advance,
Spudly.

scottc1088
08-05-07, 07:03 PM
check compression?

Adam
08-05-07, 07:07 PM
As above.
Sounds like its way down on compression(mibbe a rings, causing the oily smoke), if your getting a good spark and tried swapping injectors etc.

Spudly
08-05-07, 07:08 PM
That was to be the next course of investigation but my mate left his compression tester at work cos he is clever lol, was just wondering if anyone else had come across similar or the same problems in the mean time as we wont be able to check compression till tomorrow night now!!

Spudly
08-05-07, 07:17 PM
As above.
Sounds like its way down on compression(mibbe a rings, causing the oily smoke)

Could just one piston lose it rings though, i sorta figured that if it were rings then wouldnt the problem be on all four pots and not just the one?

Adam
08-05-07, 07:20 PM
Not it something entered that cylinder and fcuked the rings(grit/dirt etc)

mikey14sr
08-05-07, 07:20 PM
Could have dropped a valve, or blown a ring, possibly HG failure? compression test results needed, but I'm surprised the AA man didn't have a fault code reader to tell him what the computer says.

Spudly
08-05-07, 07:33 PM
Aye well hopefully will know more tomorrow night when we get the compression tester on it, hoping its not the head gasket as this is the second vaux he has had with lots of problems so he is already thinking bank loan and german wheels next (silly boy lol)

Im thinking the muck entering the cylinder could be a possibility, as the injector that came out of number 4 looked as it it had some dust on the little gauze bit in the top it when we looked it over!!

Ben said all the rac bloke only pulled the plug lead off number four and sai oh youve got a problem on that one, but surely the ecu light should have stayed on as the problem has stayed, whereas the light has now gone out!

mikey14sr
08-05-07, 08:07 PM
ecu should still have logged the fault, it's probably just stored it away. this isn't the same guy that had that astra is it?

Adam
08-05-07, 08:07 PM
Altho a valve,piston ring etc problem wouldn't bring the ecu lamp on.
Something like a dodgy injector would.

Or the lambda way out of signal range,possibly because of a v.rich fuel mix due to the cylinder not firing for some reason....

Flash the code out, see what it comes back with.

Spudly
08-05-07, 08:26 PM
Nah its not Rob he still got that astralol, this one is my mate Ben, the lad who came to well lane with me if you remember him mike?

Thats what i was thinking LLTN, if it were a ring problem then how has it upset the ecu, but the thing is saying about it could have unburnt fuel going straight through and that upet the lambda, but when we ran the enigine with no spark plug in it there was only very very lean air coming through, thats what led us to investigate the injectors as it seemed to have no fuel going through it if any at all!!

SRI crazy
08-05-07, 11:12 PM
did u check the rail to see if it is blocked above the injector, my sri done something quite similar to it lol