PDA

View Full Version : Distributor Swap

nova1600
08-05-07, 03:18 PM
Anybody know if what there is a difference between the distributor on the 1400 8v square port and the 1600 8v gsi. Reason I ask is that there is the gsi one is knackered and I'm converting to mapped ignition shortly and just want to run the engine in before putting on rolling road so hence the reason to use the 1.4 distributor if it would work.

Adam
08-05-07, 03:44 PM
The 1.4sr dizzy/coil is a self contained ignition system.(Doesn't use a ecu)

Whats your engine spec? 1.6 8v mpi?

The 1.4 dizzy will run the ignition if you fit the coil/module too, it wont work with a ecu.

nova1600
08-05-07, 03:51 PM
On carbs at the minute and as you say the self contained dizzy with the coil and module. I have a distributor off a 1.4 with the coil an module and just wanted to check weather it would do the job to run in the engine as the one I have is knackered. Once its run in I will be putting an mbe on it.

Adam
08-05-07, 03:58 PM
Yes mate, it will do the job fine, probably almost as well as the MBE ignition setup tbh.

You will just have to fit the 1.4sr dizzy, coil and module, and wire in 3 wires(2 if you dont need the rev counter, handy for running in tho...)
The wires are black-ign live(there should already be an ignition live at the gsi coil, so you can use that, assuming you've not removed it.
Brown-Earth-bolt on chassis leg
Green-To rev counter.

big gra
08-05-07, 04:18 PM
just neeed to make sure that the drive is the same, when i swopped dizzys my old 1 was driven by a little pin that goes into a hole on the end of the cam, my new one had 2 little forks, bit of bodjing with agrinder to get them to fit!

nova1600
08-05-07, 04:40 PM
Ah I was hoping to just to take the distributor and put it on. But from what you guys are saying I have to swap the coil and ignition module aswell which I don't have. I only have a distributor.

Adam
08-05-07, 05:26 PM
If its a 1600 the cam drive is the same as Sr.

The dizzy alone is no good to you.
You'd need the entire setup to run the sr's ignition system.

Jon_nova1
08-05-07, 11:34 PM
keep in mind the entire setup really only consists of abit of wire, module and coil lol

nova1600
09-05-07, 02:15 PM
I just wanted a cheap way of getting the car run in before converting to 3d mapped ignition. But it don't look like I can do that.