PDA

View Full Version : kent/piper cam

greg1.4
08-05-07, 08:25 AM
i am thinking about putting a highlift cam in my 1300 sr. its going to have a full ashley exhaust system and a 4 branch manifold. it has the standard twin choke carb but will more than likely get replaced to a weber 32/34. it will also have a k&n filter on it. Am i right in saying the kent AST1 (i think) would be the one to go for?

My camshaft is worn in my sr engine so thats why i am replacing it. what else should i replace at the same time? If the cam is worn what else will be worn or damaged etc?

Can i just use standard vauxhall engine parts after i fit the uprated camshaft?

Thanks,
Greg

greg1.4
08-05-07, 08:28 AM
also is cam followers the same thing as tappets?

Stuart
08-05-07, 08:38 AM
an AST1 is a bit pointless to fit imho. better off with an AST2

the followers are different to the "tappets/lifters"
if your cam is worn then you will need new lifters (new gm ones are fine if you can blag a good price)

Adam
08-05-07, 01:21 PM
Depends where the cam is worn, if the journals are worn then the cam housing bearings are worn, which will fook any other cam you fit....

greg1.4
08-05-07, 01:46 PM
i took the rocker cover off as there was a hell of alot of tapping going on. i was told my the garage that it sounded like a worn cam. the cam had little scrapes on it on. i will try and get pics up but might be very hard to see whats damaged.

could the tapping be the cam? i was going to re-place the tappets and cam.

my original plan was to just put a standard cam kit in it but i am now wanting to put a uprated camshaft in.

what would you guys advise me to do?

cheers, Greg

greg1.4
08-05-07, 01:50 PM
or where should i check for damage? where abouts in the engine?

if i take the rocker cover off is there any way i can find out whats damaged?

Adam
08-05-07, 01:51 PM
Up to you tbh.
My old 1200i engine was permantly tappy, and had a nasty rasp at about 3k rpm.
I swapped the cam, rockers, and lifters, and the noise was gone.
The cam lobes were scored etc, and the lifters crudded up, meaning there was "play" in between the lifter/cam/rocker=tap tap

greg1.4
08-05-07, 01:55 PM
well i want a good reliable quick motor. think am going to replace the cam and rockers and lifters. thanks LLTN.

dont want a rattly and bangy engine.lol

greg1.4
08-05-07, 03:42 PM
while i have still got this topic..

what all comes in a standard nova camshaft kit for a sr?

if i buy a ast2 camshaft and fit the other standard parts i get from a camshaft kit will this be ok?

also what cam is the best? i dont want it too lumpy but want a boost from about 2000/3000rpm right up the rev range if possible.

what will a 1300 sr rev too? i was told that they are very rev happy engines. ha ha.

Greg

Adam
08-05-07, 03:51 PM
Usually you get the rocker arms, lifters,thrust pads, and the cam.

Yes, i run std lifters,rockers etc with my ast2, no probs at all.

With the carb setup it wont be lumpy, anyone that says it will run lumpy is wrong. Thats only the case on a wild cam, or where the carb/ecu cant handle the cam very well.
Mine idles quite well, and i set the carbs up myself.

About 7000ish is "safe" Not really needed tho as power will peak before then.