PDA

View Full Version : rust problem!

mk2novagte
07-05-07, 04:31 PM
:thumb: when taking my battery out to charge it, i've found a small/medium rust problem just above the passenger side arch where the batterys sits.
got a screwdriver and it's gone through - nooooo!!!! :mad:

whats the best way to tackle this as ive never had to deal with getting rid of rust apart from surface rust.

tah muchly

greg1.4
07-05-07, 04:36 PM
if you can get a grinder in and cut the rust out. if not rub it down or get a wire wheel on the end of a drill and get away most of the rust. cut a steel plate that will fit over the hole (make it alot bigger if you can) then weld it on.

either that buy a brand new battery tray panel from your local motor factors and wels that on then give it a coat of paint over the welds etc.

i would also advise putting seam sealer or something over the welds before you paint it.

LUV2XLR8
07-05-07, 04:38 PM
passenger side? is it a corsa?
best way to deal with it is to grind it all back useing an angle grinder, make sure theres nothing to get cut, if you havnt got a grinder use some rough sandpaper. you can buy rust treatment in any motor shop, chuck some of that on there,
if you can, weld the hole up, if not botch it with some fiberglass filler ;)

mk2novagte
07-05-07, 04:47 PM
im thinking the fibreglass method - p38/p40 from halfords as its above the arch and is going through - arches are mostly mint so dont want it spreading!

is a nova, and yeh is then battery tray but where it joins the arch if you get me.

would the fibreglass method work if i did this:

rub down all the rust etc then treat the metal
score the metal both sides a stanley knife
place chicken wire/mesh over the hole and stick it down
then place fibreglass on both sides
rub down and use high build primer to stop rust coming back easily.

?????????
cheers

mikey14sr
07-05-07, 05:32 PM
Needs to be welded in order to maintain the strength around the suspension.

paul james
07-05-07, 05:42 PM
Yeah cut out all the rusty metal and weld it up.
If you cant weld yourself at least try and get it all prepped first so whoever you take it to weld it wont have to charge you for the time of chopping all the rust out and whatnot.

Oh and make sure you paint it properly afterwards on both sides, dont let whoever welds it just slap a bit of underseal on it.

mk2novagte
07-05-07, 05:43 PM
im pretty naff at welding to be honest with you! so i wouldnt want a weak weld or anything incase it was just as bodged but less rusty if you get me.

how much would it cost me to have it done at a bodyshop?

paul james
07-05-07, 09:35 PM
Would probably charge you ?30 to do it. If you have access to a welder then practice on similar thickness metal untill youve got the hang of it. You might aswell get good at welding when your a nova owner, welding isnt difficult really, just need to get the settings right for the metal your using.

Driver
07-05-07, 09:39 PM
ive heard a pug 406 bat tray fits in there and is a stronger more rust proof solution

paddy138
08-05-07, 05:58 PM
get a loan of a welder, an just practise for a while its easy, cut around the rust and just weld a piece of plate metal on. just make sure you prime and paint it again or its just going to keep rusting

mikey14sr
08-05-07, 07:24 PM
proper bodyshop job could cost ?150+, a good enough for an mot or two repair would be more lik ?25.

craig green
09-05-07, 10:21 AM
Its not structural really so getting a repair on it shouldnt be hard, the alarming bit is that its above your feet so water might come in & get you & the fuse box wet.

If you want to pay for it to be fixed, my advice is to grind or wire brush all the rot out of the surrounding area so it makes the welders life easier & cheaper for you.

paddy138
09-05-07, 12:01 PM
yeah have it prepared for the bodyshop, will be cheaper, you would be better off getting it done professionally, since the location of it an all that