PDA

View Full Version : handbrake not working?

greg1.4
07-05-07, 04:01 PM
well it works but can only get one click or two if i pull really hard. its really hard to pull aswell.

i thought it would be seized rear wheel cylinders as the rear wheels would always seize if it had been sitting for 2 or 3 days.

so i replaced the wheel cylinders, built it all back togethor and the handbrake will still not really work and the passenger side drum does not like to go round.

the drivers side is free and i can burl the wheel round no problems.

i also tried pulling the cable that runs along the top of the axle. i pulled that to see if it would work then it would tell me if it was the wheel cylinder or not. i could pull it really good when the drum was off but i cant pull it when the drum is back on.
Any ideas?:confused:
cheers,
Greg

Lee
07-05-07, 04:19 PM
The cylinders have no bearing on the handbrake operation. My guess is the shoes have got old and the handbrake arm is stiff, also you may find the springs are no longer pulling the shoes off the drums like they should.

Best course of action is to buy a new fitting kit and replenish all the springs, and fit some shoes while you at it as theyre only around 12 quid!

greg1.4
07-05-07, 04:39 PM
i have put new mintex pads in. will i get a brake fitting kit from motor factors?

Lee
07-05-07, 04:44 PM
Yep. you need to ensure you get the correct one though as there are 2 that I know of for nova's. Best way to tell them apart is the bottom spring. One has two large spring coils, whereas the other is a longer, thinner spring where the coils run it entire length.

mowgli
07-05-07, 10:18 PM
always loosen the handbrake cable before refitting the rear shoes. once you know they are working, then re-adjust it.
It is an old bodge, but people regularly tighten the handbrake to try to make the rear brakes pass an mot

stuartp
08-05-07, 07:16 PM
r the cables running freely??

greg1.4
08-05-07, 10:29 PM
well i can pull the cable above the axle freely when the drum is removed. when i put it on i cant though. should the drums spin round freely?

mowgli
08-05-07, 10:45 PM
they should only just rotate by hand, grinding the inner lip off the drum & then adjusting up the self adjusters is a bit of a bind, but it does work well