PDA

View Full Version : My Entertaining sunday drive!

nova---chris
07-05-07, 08:42 AM
Well had plans to make a nova meet up at chelts just of junction 11 of the M5. The day started well. Car started (woot) all cleaned up read for a trip out. Got on the M5 and things were going nicely. Car felt good. everything felt right until junction 7 of the M5 when there was a loud clatter at around 70MPH. Car decided suddenly to lurch of left onto the hard shoulder lol! Whoops. on inspection couldnt see much wrong until i shook the wheel. Seems the wheel bearing has shatterd. The fun had just started by this point. With hardley any tools i managed to get the wheel of and tighten up the hub bolt just to get it of the motorway. Doing about 10mph i pulled into a side road. Noticed signs saying no parking ect. thought im only going to be 5 minutes. just needed to check the damage. Just as im about to move it some pikey ****ing cock head drove in . we explained im just moving. broke down. to which he replied with a load of abuse. So i replied back telling him hes a ****ing ****er ect . (anyone who lives by junction 7 of the m5 1st left of the motorway island about 200 yards on the left hand side) the bloke who lives there is a absolute ignorant piece of ****. whos lucky is lights wernt put out purely as i was more concerned about the car than is crappy side road.
Really hope someone dumps aload of **** in is crummy road.

Anyhow moved the car out of harms was and waited for AA recovery to come take me home. Then some more bad new. The brake pedal was pushing to the floor with no braking. Im geting the feeling its thrown a pad also from the same side the bearing has gone. No leaks of fluid ect. Not to bad. but its got ds ferrodo pads on. over ?100 a pop lol! *cringe*

Anyhow all back home and will get pictures of the damage later today. maybe its time to upgrade to the bigger hubs and shafts. we shall see.
Hope everyone had a good day at the meet and sorry i couldnt make it. will try again for the next one lol!

chris

Dan
07-05-07, 08:46 AM
gutted about this yesterday, was looking forward to seeing the car again and giving it a rack of the whip :( At least it happened when it did and not on the way to a trackday etc :thumb:

Rick Draper
07-05-07, 10:14 AM
Did ian try to nick you wheel while the car was moving? Usually he waits untill a car has stopped!

Philsutton
07-05-07, 10:44 AM
Thats unlucky, could have been a lot worse though. Same as when my cv joint locked up on the motorway, i was lucky not to crash.

nova---chris
07-05-07, 11:15 AM
TBH i didnt find it to funny. Missus was in the car which was the main concern. not botherd about me. But passenger was prority. went with a severe bang and lost front brakes and also veered left. laugh now but not at the time when at 70mph lol! ah well.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/Nova---Chris/DSC00129.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/Nova---Chris/DSC00127.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o306/Nova---Chris/DSC00126.jpg

Mike
07-05-07, 11:58 AM
fookin hell Chris! Sorry to hear it mate, glad your both ok, and the car too

tony k
07-05-07, 01:03 PM
that happend to me and my mate once didnt come out that well ended in a field (ha ha) the main thing is your both ok its only a bit of metal at the end of day (what gear lever is that mate looking to change mine was it hard to fit)

Lee
07-05-07, 03:14 PM
Gutted when I heard Chris, i was looking forward to stealing the keys lol. That'll teach you for doing half a job! And at least it wasnt the rear bearing, that can be uber nasty when that decides to dissintegrate!

Adam
07-05-07, 04:23 PM
Fook, looks nasty, good to hear you managed keep control of the car.

nova---chris
07-05-07, 11:06 PM
Cheers lads. must admit i was very pissed of. was looking forward to actually making a meet lol! But these things happen i suppose.

God damn fecking vauxhalls. Anyhow thanks to Chris (yorkshire gaylord) Ive got 2 hubs. Already sorted one out with a new bearing ready to be fitted back to the car tomorrow. as a safety issue i shall be doing the drivers side bearing also.

Only damage to be done really was the cv joint be pulled from the shaft. but no damage to it. just needs a new clip and smacking back on and the gator doing back up.

Thank feck! :)

Will F
08-05-07, 08:49 AM
Chris, I saw you tootling down the M5 on Sunday mate, I screemed passed in a Mondeao estate TD lol

You were still moving then though!:(

nova---chris
08-05-07, 09:05 AM
lmao! yes i was ok up to junction 6 will.
Mondeo?? thats a bit worrying matey lol!

craig green
08-05-07, 10:23 AM
Unlucky! Could have been worse as said.

Does the Mrs still think Novas are pants though? LOL

nova---chris
08-05-07, 10:43 AM
She did like em. but i think shes fed up of breaking down every 20 miles. lol

Riggy
08-05-07, 08:24 PM
lol gutted to hear ot chris lad , but glad you and the misses are ok

the same thing happend to sean in his XE nova on the way to the mk couple of year back lol

novanutted
09-05-07, 12:00 PM
glad your both ok mate,im sure you wil sort it soon:D

Will F
10-05-07, 08:38 AM
lmao! yes i was ok up to junction 6 will.
Mondeo?? thats a bit worrying matey lol!

Indeed, but didnt fancy driving to Manchester in the Nova, or picking up a Type C manifold in the VXR!lol

nova---chris
10-05-07, 04:12 PM
Indeed, but didnt fancy driving to Manchester in the Nova, or picking up a Type C manifold in the VXR!lol

Fair enough mate. the joys of standard cars that work and cost feck all to maintain!

Altho ive now replaced both front wheel bearings and fitted the new bias pedal box and braided lines. Just missing 1 fitting, so hopefully by the weekend all back up and running.

The joys of motoring.

L14MNP
10-05-07, 04:29 PM
Sorry to hear mate! As has been said though, could have been nasty!

Glad you've got it nearly sorted again too :)

srs1
10-05-07, 08:35 PM
yes, i remember that wonderfull day too riggy.

bearing collapsed on me just the m6 and m42 cross towards the m40.
kinda busy junction to say the least.

glad you and the mrs are ok chris.

not much you can do other then call the car a big pile of ****e etc.