PDA

View Full Version : Draining Fuel Tank - fitting non-return valve

Anonymous
23-01-02, 10:05 PM
I've got to drain my fuel tank at some point soon to fit a new none-return valve in the filler neck.

Anyway...has anyone got any simple hints and tips for the best way to do it.

It's a GTE so I can use it's own pump to pump out the fuel (as suggested in the Haynes), but where's the best place to un-do a fuel pipe to do this and has anyone had probs I should now about?

Has anyone ant tips on doing the non-return valve it's self......it is easy to remove from the rubber pipe for example?

Cheers lads.

Anonymous
23-01-02, 11:03 PM
Just run the tank very low, and then you won't have to drain the fuel as when you jack the car up the remaining fuel will move to the other side of the tank,

The actual valve is located in the inlet to the tank, the metal part and will just need prising out with a screwdriver or pair of pliers,
Should take no more than half hour,

And don't smoke whilst doing the above, lol

Anonymous
24-01-02, 12:31 AM
Cheers mate......I've been keeping it low for the last few weeks (in the red!) hoping that I'd get a day when I could do it.
I've been adding ?2 at a time at the petrol stations to "just" have enough fuel for short journeys!

Hopefully, I'll get it done tomorrow.

Cheers Kev ;)

Anonymous
24-01-02, 10:08 PM
You were spot on mate.....I did it today and didn't have to drain the tank at all.....I just jacked it up nice and high (put the jack on a lump of wood to make it lift the car higher), and did the job.

It took a while though 'cos the bottom bracket bolt refused to come loose, so I had to wiggle the pipe out with the bottom bracket still on the car....I did it though.

It's no wonder it was leaking from the filler neck.....there was NO none-return valve to be found!!!! It must have been off at some point and they never put it back! doh!

Anyway, after a drive, the smell of fuel has now gone that I got before, so it's done the trick :D

Cheers again Kev ;)