PDA

View Full Version : turbo conversion?

Anonymous
21-01-02, 10:17 AM
If you get a turbo conversion to a 1.6 GTE , what do they do anything to the fueling system? Does it just run using the standard airflow meter before the turbo and the standard GTE chip? or does it have some special chip to increase the fueling? I guess it would run too lean if it didn't have something to increase the fuel when the turbo is boosting.
Has anyone here ever done a DIY turbo conversion?
Also, how do they get a oil feed etc for the turbo?

Anonymous
21-01-02, 11:42 AM
bmw fuel chip
oil feed from t piece on the pressure sender

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
21-01-02, 11:57 AM
so, if i buy a courtney turbo mainfold or made one, got a suitable turbo (garrett one?) and a BMW chip (what one?), in theory i could do a DIY turbo conversion?
Or does it need more special stuff?
low compression pistons might be a good idea i guess.

Anonymous
21-01-02, 12:28 PM
D.I.Y

steel head gasket for lower compression.

u gotta get a suitible intercooler 2. get one made for ya.
and adapt ur downpipe to hold the turbo. eg make a bracket.

prob more stuff.

Anonymous
21-01-02, 01:06 PM
aerm, cash for when it blows

Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

no blank cheques, just graft and patience...whhhaaaarrrppp

Anonymous
21-01-02, 06:32 PM
time for turbo 4me 2m8. im gunna get the gte lump runnin good ie get the new throttle switch, vernier then timed then get gav ps gsi lump n hav a think n price up a turbo wont be till summer a least though!

Anonymous
21-01-02, 07:14 PM
Umm its not exactly a piece of piss to do. I've got a Courtenay one. Spankee is the man to talk to as he is Mr DIY :P

But fyi, Courtenay sort the fuelling out by using an FSE fuel pressure regulator and a vacuum switch that flicks open at a particular intake air pressure to trick the ECU into thinking its running full throttle - can cause some fault code issues though.

You need a fabricated downpipe and manifold, oil return brazed onto the sump for the turbo. Umm, TurboTechnics hybrid T2 jobbie (could dig out the build number if you like) - but its a little expensive. Courtenay charge about 250+vat ON TOP of the TT price for this!!

Ideally you'd be able to go out and junk the Bosch fuel injection for a fully mapable one say from MBE...but we are talking silly prices if at all they could do it :)

If I was gonna do it DIY and I had the cash, I would go for lower compression pistons <cant remember the ratio - but I think its in the same area as a standard Cosworth lump> and strngthened bottom end/oilpump. But we are talking bucks there!!

Good luck. Ben.

Anonymous
22-01-02, 01:23 PM
My ecu it the older type, before TECH1 was added, So it doesn't have fault codes.
I guess the switch must link to the throttle position senser, so when the inlet mainfold starts pressurising it tricks the ECU into thinking the throttle is open wide, but it still would run too lean wouldn't it? Or would you set the FSE to a much higher pressure, so it is delivering much more fuel at all throttle positions?
Do turbo's have standard mounting plates to join them to the mainfold? cause i could use a RS turbo mainfold mount welded to a GTE one.
For the oil, i could do as Ste said, run from the oil pressure sender and for the return i could tap the sump. Would it need a higher pressure oil pump? i guess the turbo needs a very good/fast supply of oil.
As for the pistons, is it possable to get the standard piston crown's skimmed? (you can on RST's) or are they too weak/Thin? If not i guess i could buy straight from mahl pistons, but they are ???!!
I really like the idea of a GTE 1.6 turbo but im reluctant to pay someone else to do it (Courtney/DrTurbo) but maybe this job is a bit too much for my brain! would it be better to just get a Dr Turbo ?800 conversion done then get low compression pistons?
This summer is the time to do somthing engine wise, Im trying to decide which will be better
1.6 turbo
1.6 16v
2l 8v
I want a engine that i can do the fitting/ work on myself, but money IS an issue! i don't have stupid money to throw at it!
A DIY turbo sounds the nuts, but if it needs to much special (exspensive) stuff i may aswell just get a 2l 8v.

Anonymous
22-01-02, 08:31 PM
Yep thats how the switch is wired in. And like you say, the FSE is adjusted to give slightly higher then normal fuel pressure...what it is set at I dont know.

Yep as Ste said, thats the best way to route the oil feed to the turbo, and yep again the return is into the sump through a braze-on.

Its not crucial to have a high oil pressure pump, I would only do it as peace of mind...chances are the pump on your engine is tired so it wouldn't do any harm to have a higher pressure one. of course, it might be worth checking with whoever manufactures the turbo as to the pressure the oil seals can handle, dont want the oil blowing by and burning.

As for machining the standard pistons, I've no idea. I would say its better to go the sandwich plate route rather than skim standard pistons tho. I know that Spankee is running silly boost on the sandwich plate, about 14psi @ peak whereas mine is a measly 6psi <hehe>.

The turbo thats used in mine is different from the RS Turbo (I've got a T2 variant) so you wont wouldn't be able to use a bastardised version of the RS Turbo manifold. Spankee has a T3 on his...not sure on the particulars though.

I would say, that from my experience running the turbo is bastard expensive!! When you consider that the replacement turbo is circa 750 quid from TurboTechnics.

On paper mine *should* <hehe again> make between 130-150bhp, which is scary enough in a Nova - imo - but thats really taking the standard bottom end to its limits...might be wise to go for a more modern 1.6 16v <engines cheap now> or maybe the 2ltr 8v rebuilt?!

Ben.

Anonymous
23-01-02, 11:39 PM
i would go for the 1.6 turbo route as its a very easy conversion and is well cheap to do and can easily chase 16v motors lol as to my conversion its a bit different than courtneys as i have decided to fit T3 garret unit which i think works very well this engine the only part i found that was hard was mateing the turbo to manifold as the T3 is quite big its cracked a few times on adapter but now sorted and standard clutch wont last long.......if you need any help drop us a mail (Spankee14@hotmail.com)

ps hows things ben

Anonymous
23-01-02, 11:46 PM
Be warned she is nearly finshed ...........The Spankee shinee Mobil.......mmmmwwwwwwahhhh

russ_nova
02-03-06, 08:20 PM
Spankee14@hotmail.com i tryed emailing u but didnt work i would like your help if u can plzz in telling mer how to do turbo on gsi i have most the bits just need to know how it all works ive got turbo with mannifold intercooler dump valve oil return pipe 2mm head spacer an fse boost for fule just need some help lik ehow it all gose and where to get other bits like t peice for oil feed?? and all pipe work to link it all up an where dose it all go?? if u can help email me at russ_1978 @ntlworld.com
thanks alot

Snowface
02-03-06, 08:39 PM
wat all these 4 year old posts doing popping up? PM still works i believe.

Adam
03-03-06, 12:09 AM
The search feature is beginning to do my head in,Lol.

Stuart
03-03-06, 08:16 AM
FFS if the thread has anyone called ANONYMOUS as the poster in it then the thread is V old and therefore defunkt.

There are lots of turbo threads about.
Pming ANONYMOUS wont work as such eg it wont get to the right recipient lol.