PDA

View Full Version : hints and tips for spraying a dash needed

bigbened
04-05-07, 01:15 PM
right im going to spray my dash tomorrow, just wonderd what was the best paint to use, how much and which colour to use.

any tips on prepping it, ie do i prime it/plastic prime it.

any help appreciated

nova ian
04-05-07, 01:38 PM
If you look in the link below you will see a dash thats been painted, and maybe some info about it. Im sure iain used Halfords interior trim paint, and used alot of it as it doesnt cover to well, but its because its a thin paint that soaks into the dash. Build it up slowly and you will get a mint finish. Ive seen Iains dash in the flesh and it looks spot on, also you can scratch your nail along it and it doesnt com off!

http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=70561&page=2

Dan 130
04-05-07, 01:54 PM
its all about the prep really get a decent plastic primer and give it a few good coats :thumb:

Iain
04-05-07, 03:21 PM
Im sure iain used Halfords interior trim paint, and used alot of it

Aye "Halfords flexible vinyl paint". Only downside is it costs about ?10 a can.

its all about the prep really get a decent plastic primer and give it a few good coats :thumb:

With a mk2 dash you shouldn't prime it, just give it a good few coats with flexible paint. However if you're painting a mk1 dash then I'm not too sure - you'd probably need to prime and paint as normal.

Nova_Tek
04-05-07, 06:24 PM
However if you're painting a mk1 dash then I'm not too sure - you'd probably need to prime and paint as normal.

I sprayed my MK1 dash and tbh I was very lazy in the way I prepped it. just wiped it clean got rid of dust and grime and sprayed it directly with normal Halfords Satin black.

Suprisingly its been perfect, no problems at all, hasnt peeled or faded its been brilliant.

But if you want to do it properly id prob use a good plastic paint and probably with a plastic primer so the paint sticks better. Preperation is the key unless your a bit jammy like myself lol

:thumb:

bigbened
05-05-07, 12:10 AM
lol i want it done properly as i may be selling and buying a 2.0,( i know im a **** but its cheaper), i have a mk2 dash, i have allready sprayed the black dash parts the same colour as the car, just need a black dash lol thanks for the help,

more would be good though

do you thing that halfords stuff is good withought primer or with ?

Nova_Tek
05-05-07, 10:43 PM
Halfords do a special Vinyl Paint which is designed to be flexible coz the MK2 dash is not just plastic like the MK1. But Id guess that you'd have to clean the dash properly as if you have used oily cleaning products or otherstuff to clean the dash can can leave and oily residue which would mean the paint will flake off sooner.

banny
06-05-07, 01:51 PM
rub down any impfections i.e scratches then plastic prime it then high build prime it (two coats ) then paint with interior paint thats how i did my old mk1 novas dash and i kept getting asked were i had it done and how much i paid

bigbened
06-05-07, 03:37 PM
yer but i thought you just painted it with the interior paint if you was doing a mk2 dash?

oh and its ?15 bloody quid now so how many cans would i need?

Iain
06-05-07, 03:44 PM
Yes just to clarify you use flexible vinyl paint ONLY and no primer on a mk2 dash. Give it a good clean though as said before.

I used 4 cans but one or two were a bit duff (in fact I ended up taking one back and getting them to replace it). ?15 is mega expensive for a small spray can!

Mike
06-05-07, 03:46 PM
one cans of satin black, one can of clear lacqeur, job done:

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j181/mikenova/PICT01.jpg

Mike
06-05-07, 03:49 PM
click here (http://www.novaload.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78366)

novamadcars
08-05-07, 09:30 AM
top job mate looks ace i will need to spray mine once i know how to fit it to my mk1

bigbened
09-05-07, 04:01 PM
it fits straight on mate, any plugs that are different i will just cut and change them

draper
09-05-07, 04:11 PM
think im gonna spray mine instead of trying to find a good condition GSi one