PDA

View Full Version : Novas 3dr VS 5dr

Chezzy
03-05-07, 01:51 PM
Who rates which better handling wise con u can fit wider tires on the 5dr

draper
03-05-07, 01:53 PM
why can you fit wider tyres on a 5door ???

big gra
03-05-07, 01:53 PM
5 door novas arent worth looking at imo

Chezzy
03-05-07, 02:00 PM
arches sit slightly higher and are more flared

draper
03-05-07, 02:01 PM
and what does height have to do about width lol

tbh i think the differences are marginal/none existent

novabex
03-05-07, 02:03 PM
5 doors are fugly.

dannyb
03-05-07, 02:08 PM
Who rates which better handling wise con u can fit wider tires on the 5dr
Wider tyres doesn't necessarily mean better handling, I've found that 215 section tyres aquaplane like a s1ut and tramline whereas 185s don't, yet I can still put it round corners as quick(and the wheels wearing the 185 are lighter)!!

5 doors weight 15kgs more than a 3 door iirc. They also a bit more prone to flexing. The only reason I have one is that when I bought it, I needed a cheap convienient car, it was cheap, largely rot free and low mileage. Now that I actually enjoy the Nova rather than just use it for A - B transport, I want a 3 Door as they look better, are a bit lighter and stiffer and they don't look stupid stripped out.

However, you can't beat a bit of 5 door action for picking people up or getting the shopping in. Or making use of those round arches by borrowing your mates newly tyre'd ET 35 Golf wheels to get your Nova through its MOT so you can tax it!

Jack
03-05-07, 02:25 PM
Contrary to popular belief, wider tires don't necessarily mean better handling, and on a light car like a nova will probably just make it tramline and aquaplane when you hit water. In wet or icy conditions you want thinner tyres rather than wide ones.

5drs are probably my least favourite shell. If you like the round arches - which I do - get a 2dr saloon. 2dr saloon only weighs 5kg more than a poverty spec 3dr hatch, so lighter than a 5dr as well :D

Chunky Lover
03-05-07, 04:01 PM
my first grasser was a 5 door nova due to the fact that you can strip the door fully and just weld it closed. apparently makes it lighter.

Fenix_2k1
03-05-07, 04:11 PM
my first grasser was a 5 door nova due to the fact that you can strip the door fully and just weld it closed. apparently makes it lighter.

I didn't know that, but that what i was planning on doing with my 4 door saloon so it's good to know it'll make some difference.

The 3dr is easily the best looking car. But in my case 4 doors / 5 doors are a better option because theres more around in decent nick and cheap as they've been owned by old grannies.

If i trash the saloon it'll probably cost me less than 500 to find a new shell in good condition. You don't get that sort of luxury with 3dr's any more unless your very lucky.

craig green
03-05-07, 04:51 PM
Its true! Most 5-drs around here are mint! The panel fit on a genuine & straight mk2 Nova is something to behold.

However they look minging from the side, but not as rough as a 5-dr Corsa B. I prefer the lines of a 4-dr Saloon to a 2-dr, but 5-dr hatches are a NO. Sorry.