PDA

View Full Version : Oil Catch Tank

nova ian
03-05-07, 12:21 PM
Been looking at catch tanks and was wondering, I know it does exactly what it says on the tin and catches oil, but does the oil just sit in there until its emptied?

Also if using a catch tank for the xe breather mod would you just pipe the catch tank up to the pipe from the crank case cover, and then have a pipe from the tank with a filter on?

I'm a complete novice when it comes to this so any help appreciated.:thumb:

Thanks

Ian

craig green
03-05-07, 12:25 PM
Yeah as above. If you can add a vacuum on at the top, so it doesnt breathe oil straight back in, it completes the breather pipe circuit as its usually routed from the rocker cover to inlet. So basically you just pipe the tank into the middle somewhere.

nova ian
03-05-07, 12:39 PM
Thanks craig,

So if the tank is piped up on a vacuum will it not need to be emptied unless changing the oil etc, and I have read about this breather problem, How does it cause a problem, Is it because of the fact the oilgoes straight into the inlet and it begins to mix with fuel?

Sorry if im asking daft questions, but hey im learning! lol

Cheers

Ian

craig green
03-05-07, 12:48 PM
Any oil caught in the tank doesnt want to be going back into the engine.

I think having a vacuum piped in is optional but thats how I would do it. The inlet is 'sucking' on the rocker cover anyway, so simply piping the oil to the tank doesnt really encourage the oil vapours to enter the tank, by having a vacuum souce from the tank it should help pull more oil vapours into the tank & as I said, the breather circuit is completed back to the inlet.

Someone may correct me here.

Stuart
03-05-07, 01:05 PM
thats about right...

I'd hope that the catch tank dosent fill up between oil changes... that would suggest naffed rings lol

Adam
03-05-07, 05:51 PM
With the breather mod done you shouldn't have to empty it regularly(as it'll be mostly breathing vapour, and not oil), probably just get a slightly buildup in the tank every couple of thousand miles.

nova ian
03-05-07, 08:17 PM
Cheers guys, appreciate the help

Ian

trossnova
04-05-07, 07:49 PM
any chance of a picture of you the best way to do it is?

Philsutton
04-05-07, 09:31 PM
I'd hope that the catch tank dosent fill up between oil changes... that would suggest naffed rings lol

or a lot of left hand corners lmfao. Basically without the breather mod when your hammer round corners the oil just goes straight back into the inlet an hence why you see loads of c20xe's smoking on track that wouldnt normally.