PDA

View Full Version : cambelt and waterpump

Driver
03-05-07, 07:23 AM
right project cheapskate has hit 71500 (there abouts)

so i want cambelt and waterpump doing

im taking it in to be done.

cambelt is easy enough, go in say "raplace cambelt please".
so its just the water pump, do i want a new one a recon one or this one rebuilting

just want to get it done before im stuck without an engine

also what should i be paying for the pair done ??

any help appreciated

cheers

SRI crazy
03-05-07, 09:32 AM
well its up to you if you want to replace it, does your car have a separate tensioner for the timing belt, wat year is it?

Nova Full
03-05-07, 12:10 PM
a new water pumps only about ?30 if i remember rightly

Adam
03-05-07, 05:51 PM
Its really worth having a go yourself on a 8v tbh.
Easy job.

Labour charges could be ?100-?150...

For parts costing about ?35.(Pump ?25, belt ?10(assuming it hasn't got a roller tensioner)

big gra
03-05-07, 06:23 PM
yea bud, best try and do it yourself, very easy and satisfying job!

Nova_Tek
03-05-07, 06:40 PM
I had mine done last week mate, made a HUGE difference to the engine so quiet I can hardly hear the engine, lovin it :D

my water pump cost me 18 quid from halfords a brand new one. Could have got it for a tad cheaper if I looked around real hard but I needed it asap and Halfords was able to get it within a few hours.

If you're a decent mechanic and got time to do it, it shouldnt be hard. Although if the pump has been there for yonks it may need a lot of persuasion to get it out thats probably the hardest bit of it, oh and making sure everything is aligned and the timing dont go off :)

It cost me 80 quid to get it fitted and the Cam belt, i had mine done as I needed the car right away as it would have taken me a lot more then 2 hours to do it properly which is why I had it done and got the car back in 1 hour 25 mins.

(oh the car is a '85 1.2 carb)

Adam
03-05-07, 06:43 PM
Just get a nice hammer out for the pump, and smash the ****e out of it if its stuck :)

Nova_Tek
03-05-07, 06:46 PM
WHACK It :D

big gra
03-05-07, 10:41 PM
thats the problem i had, think it came out in about 50 pieces!

Driver
04-05-07, 08:16 AM
cheers people for referance its a late 92 1.2 spi

ill have a go at water pump myself not so sure about cambelt though :S dotn want to fcuk it up lol

big gra
04-05-07, 09:29 AM
as long as you dont turn the camshaft while you do it, best thing to do is to put a mark on the cam pulley so you know its in the right place when you put it back on! if you do it wrong the car will run 1 or 2 teeth out, will just be lumpy, so just move it a tooth at a time till its ok!