PDA

View Full Version : Rotten Battery Tray... Any Tips?

Anonymous
18-01-02, 12:37 PM
:-/ I've got my MOT coming up soon and i think a rotten battery tray is a fail so I need to know the best way to sort this cheaply.

I was thinking of getting some thin plate steel, bending it around the base of my battery, cleaning up the excisting tray and welding the piece in. Any ideas?

Anonymous
18-01-02, 01:06 PM
Ive never had my battery tray fail the mot, but if you clean up the existing one weld a steel plate to it, make it look semi- Professional and put primer on it (to stop that one rusting. then I think you will get away with it. btw check your rear lights, most garages ive been to love to fail you on this. put new ones in if need be.

.:AphiD:.

Anonymous
18-01-02, 02:44 PM
you can buy the battery tray panel they are about ?7

just weld it over the old one and seal the edges with seam sealer

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
19-01-02, 02:26 AM
i made mine from fibreglass, does a good job and i cant see it rusting :)

Anonymous
19-01-02, 10:19 AM
lmao dickos mot fail sheet is gonna run to 2 pages!!

Anonymous
19-01-02, 11:58 AM
Cheers for the advice. :D
Where can I buy the battery tray panels from Ste? :-/

Anonymous
19-01-02, 12:25 PM
lol dicko

is that a "kit car" battery tray?

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
19-01-02, 04:10 PM
Use a biscuit tin lid, I just bonded 1 onto my old nova, just to stop my fitting getting wet when it rained, passed the mot no probs, lol

Anonymous
20-01-02, 12:43 AM
is it worth spendin 25 on an MOT dicko? ;)

=======================
If there's grass on the pitch... :D

Anonymous
20-01-02, 09:28 AM
ffs, give me a break. Dave when ya got ur metro they wont even let u drive it in the garage for an MOT so kiss my ass b*tch!

Anonymous
20-01-02, 11:18 AM
most car shops or a paint/panel shop for the tray or get a bodyshop to order you one

Anonymous
20-01-02, 03:10 PM
I'm glad someone's asked this question.....

Ste...when you say weld the new one in over the old, what do you do about the battery clamp?
Does the new tray include the rear fixed clamp? I imagine you've got to remove the old clamp before welding in the new tray too?

Anonymous
20-01-02, 03:15 PM
drill a hole and use the old clamp

Anonymous
20-01-02, 04:33 PM
Cheers....I think I'll get a new tray then ;)

(bloody bad design)

I've noticed that some later models had a plastic tray that sits under the battery, and on ones with this, the main metal tray doesn't rust as bad or at all! Vauxhall obviously knew the fault was there, so tried solving it.