PDA

View Full Version : Brake shoe adjustmet

Nova_Tek
01-05-07, 08:16 PM
Had a read of the Haynes manual to see how the rear brakes are adjusted.

It says there should be 2 hex nuts, that adjust each shoe seperately, which you turn to move the shoes closer or away from the drum. Once the shoes stop the wheel from turning you back off till its just free to turn without bindng.

Now I had a look at the back of the drums and I dont have any adjusting nut on either side of both rear drums. I had a good look on the haynes illustration then looked at the same spot on my car and they dont seem to exist.

Did some Nova's not have adjustments?

Im stuck

Stuart
01-05-07, 09:17 PM
very very very early ones had the manual adjsuter.... about 98% are auto adjust

Philsutton
01-05-07, 10:00 PM
They are supposed to be auto adjust but they never are lol, hardly ever work.

Nova_Tek
01-05-07, 10:34 PM
hmmm well I aint too sure if its auto adjusting itself. I have only had the rear pads for about 2 years and they werent budget items. Fitted Ferodo shoes.

They sometimes make a slight squeek when braking and the handbrake has gone up a click or two from when they were first fitted so they either need/havent adjusted themselves or its time for a new set, which is a bit quick.

bump
01-05-07, 10:49 PM
Or your handbrake cable has stretched over the last 2 years.

Nova_Tek
01-05-07, 10:51 PM
Yeh was thinking that too but I have a feeling that the shoes need adjusting.

Cant do nothing about it so mite just leave it as is. The rears still lock so its no real biggy.

Stuart
02-05-07, 08:07 AM
take the drum off and give it all a good clean out.... to be fair 2 years is good going for rear shoes on a nova, they tend to rust onto the drum over winters anyway.

SRlew
02-05-07, 11:35 AM
take the drum off and give it all a good clean out.... to be fair 2 years is good going for rear shoes on a nova, they tend to rust onto the drum over winters anyway.

lol best change mine, thought they were makin a weird noise last time i drove it lol

craig green
02-05-07, 12:17 PM
Back when I had drums, I adjusted the shoes by poking a screwdriver through the inspection hole & nudging the (self) adjuster round. They dont self adjust IMO.

SRI crazy
03-05-07, 09:41 AM
the reason your handbrake has came up is the shoes are bedding in and they need adjusting for a while after you fit new ones, its just normal for the handbrake to lenghten

Nova_Tek
03-05-07, 05:41 PM
which is why I was trying to un-leangthen it :)

used to having my handbrake at 3 clicks rather then 5. And it wasnt just for the handbrake oterwise id do it via the cable adjustment on the rear beam. Coz they were new shoes I always thought after they bed in they may need some readjustment (always thought they were manual adjustment).

Gonna take a look see how worn they are and either change them or try adjust them maybe by Craig's method.