PDA

View Full Version : Standard Brakes!

Anonymous
18-01-02, 07:51 PM
is there n e one out there with a 1.4 sr, runnin on standard brakes which have a good pedal?? my master cylinder has packed up and am wonderin weather to change it 4 a standard one or get one of an astra or sum ink? Also if the servo was faulty what sort of affect would that have on the firm ness (or in this case soft) pedal?? If it was hissing would that lead to a real spongy pedal??

Anonymous
18-01-02, 08:36 PM
spongy pedal is air in the brakes

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
18-01-02, 08:39 PM
I've got a 1.4SR on standard brakes and the pedal is spongy too. I've got some 16V brakes to go on but have only got the 14" 3 spokes on at the moment, so can't fit them. I've heard that fitting a 3mm wheel spacer will allow room for the calipers, any ideas?

Anonymous
18-01-02, 09:51 PM
Go 4 an upgrade - Std brakes are shit. See articles

Anonymous
19-01-02, 12:16 AM
I don't know about spacing 14" 3-spokers out will work.

You need the minimum of 14" with a 5.5"width.

The get them Astra brakes on. Go for a Nova GTE/GSi/TD/SRi Servo as these are 18mm bigger and make a big difference.

I did exactly this conversion to my 'workhorse' Nova. Using my Mums old Astra (mk2) SRi steel rims (car was being scrapped). I fitted Astra GTE 16V brakes and and old GTE servo.

The brake were not only excessivily good, but the bigger servo ment I never have to put any pressure on the pedal!!

Also get some DOT 5.1 brake fluid. Also get an Ezi-bleed brake bleeding kit from Halfords or the like. You can bleed the system with only one person and its quicker too.

Good luck!

Build in Spain, refined in my driveway.

Anonymous
19-01-02, 12:39 AM
OI Muppet - NOOOOOOOO
Brake advice..? from u???? lol if only i could find the link to that post on mig where u couldnt get ur brakes working.

flmfao

Anonymous
19-01-02, 02:17 AM
16v brakes behind 3-bars can be done with 3mm spacers and a bit of grinding. Had them on mine for 18 months with 0 hassle.
The GTe servo is recomended, the gsi brake master cylinder makes little difference!!
And if it hissing and working shite thats ur servo!!

Anonymous
19-01-02, 10:21 AM
I recomend the d/td servo :D cause there are fed off the alt so there is no danger they have been poisioned with petrol

16v Engine fitting and advice... mail me for a quote :D

Anonymous
19-01-02, 12:27 PM
the 3 bar wheels u need are the gsi/sri spec ones with the 47.5mm offset

the gte/sr ones are diffrent

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
19-01-02, 01:04 PM
Question...why were my brakes on my '97 Corsa so much better than the Nova, yet apparently they are exactly the same? Or has someone been feeding me bullshit

Anonymous
19-01-02, 03:26 PM
i have calipers from a 1.4 corsa sport. 236 mm vented discs. they are so much better than the rubbish solid discs. and they fit with 13" steelies.