PDA

View Full Version : Steering probs

Anonymous
15-01-02, 10:38 AM
When the car is stationary and i move the steering wheel left or right there is a small bit of free play in it. There is also a clunking noise (when I move the wheel) coming from the end of the steering column. Is there a joinjt or nuckle down there that wears? Is it easy to replace? Or is it a different prob all togeather?

Cheers,
Micko

Anonymous
15-01-02, 10:53 AM
I think there is a rubber plate in the steering coloumn to absorb vibration, etc. Don't worry too much about it, my astra'a done that for years. Check that the wheels start to turn when your moving the steering wheel to see if it's actually play, it may feel like it. If there's loads of actual play check track rod ends by jacking each side up and seeing if you can turn the wheel left or right by hand. Failng that check wheel bearings or steering rack.

Anonymous
15-01-02, 01:24 PM
if there is side to side play in the wheel, the coupling down the bottom of the steering coloum could be very worn (very dangerous)

also the steering rack could be well past it (dangerous as well)

best not fart about with stuff thats got the potential to kill u, so get it checked out by a pro if your not handy with the spanners

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
15-01-02, 01:45 PM
With the front of the car jacked there is no un-natural movement in the wheels, ie,
there is no play in the rack
there is no play in the wheel bearing,
its all smooth and precise.

What type of coupling is there at the end of the coloumn? rubber or metal?
Is it difficult to change?

Cheers,
Micko

Anonymous
17-01-02, 11:03 AM
it is actualy both rubber and metal!

have a look down by the pedals and u will see it

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
18-01-02, 12:12 AM
Ive got exactly the same problem, after its been stationery and you first turn to pull out theres a wee clunk. thought the wheel was going to come away but its been like that for 3000 miles, MOT soon maybe it`ll be the rack.