PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Bonnet wont close

EuroPaul
01-05-07, 09:06 AM
Can someone help, I used to be able to just drop my bonnet from about 4/5 inches and it would close. But for some reason now when i do this now it just seems to bounce back up..... It has started to make a mark on the side of spring bolt and also on the side of the hole it goes into.

Do you think that the bolt just needs adjusting.... it has been fine for years and the bonnet hasnt been off or anything so it really strange.

Thanks for your help

Stuart
01-05-07, 09:08 AM
have the bolts on the back of the bonnet come undone and let it slip out of alignment by any chance?

Matt2107
01-05-07, 09:09 AM
First off I'd check the panel gaps between your bonnet and wings.
If the bonnet has moved slightly on the hinges ie bent a little bit then the panel gap on one side will have increased and on the other, decreased. While your there check that the bolts haven't come loose that fix the hinges to the bonnet.

Next as you suggested check the spring is actually tight at the front.. sometimes they can work loose and there is a little adjustment.

I'd imagine it will either be one of the other.

craig green
01-05-07, 09:52 AM
Either of the above or when you pulled the lever in the car, it didnt return to its position & the cable is still allowing the spring & catch to release as soon as the bonnet comes down.

Push the lever forward.

hybridturbo
01-05-07, 12:37 PM
Either of the above or when you pulled the lever in the car, it didnt return to its position & the cable is still allowing the spring & catch to release as soon as the bonnet comes down.

Push the lever forward.

Thats what the previous owners didnt do with mine and theyve put about 6 dents in the bloody bonnet by trying to bang it shut the retards

fearless
01-05-07, 06:39 PM
Greased the bonnet pin ???

Amazing how a bit of lube will allow something to slide in !!!

Philsutton
01-05-07, 07:55 PM

Push the lever forward.

exactly what i was going to say, its what vauxhalls do best

EuroPaul
02-05-07, 11:17 AM
Thanks, its not the lever and I dont think the bonnet hasnt moved, however i had the mechanism chromed and it has no grease on it whatsoever so i guess this might be the problem

EuroPaul
02-05-07, 12:47 PM
think ive solved it, basically the spring in the slam panel is so tight that when the oin comes down it doesnt move back and allow the pin in the hole, instead in pushes the pin into the side of hole. Hopefully once ive greased up the spring in the slam panel the problem will be gone.

fearless
02-05-07, 06:28 PM
:thumb:

MyNovaSr
02-05-07, 06:41 PM
simple. Drive without one :thumb: