PDA

View Full Version : dump valve

Anonymous
16-01-02, 11:37 PM
ok i am confused about dump valves now. i went in to get one fitted and was told that on this engine the valve fits on to the turbo which i thought strange so i asked the owners list and kev bendle told me that this is bollocks. my car has deffo got a dump valve but it is not on the boost pipe at the inlet manifold so where else could it be ??

cheers

rodgerq

Anonymous
16-01-02, 11:40 PM
oh yeah kev also said that there is not a standard dump valve on these engines but the guy i got the car from says that the dump valve on it was just the standard one. it is not very loud either and i want it woooshing (or chirping - not decided yet)well louder than it is

Anonymous
17-01-02, 12:30 AM
The dump valve is T-pieced off from the boost pipe just before the inlet manifold. I'm sure that that is the only place that it can be located.

Anonymous
17-01-02, 12:38 AM
Maybe someone was getting confused over the wastegate?! The c20let has got a cunning electronically controlled one, which does hang off the turbo.

The usual dumpvalve fitting for those engines <assuming you dont have an inlet plenum from Courtenay> is on the pipe that goes over the gearbox...If you've got one of the Courtenay inlet plenums then there's a fitting for a dumpvalve right there. I s'pose that the dumpvalve could be fitted where ever there's a boost pipe, although I do remember reading it ought to be as close to the inley manifold as possible...

Ben.

Anonymous
17-01-02, 09:00 PM
it deffo does the "tish" thing when you back off the throttle but the guy at
the garage says it could be coming back up from the air filter as it doesnt
seem as loud as a D.V. he says that there is also a little solenoid valve
thing which has 3 pipes and an electrical connector on it which is not
working,(sat next to the air filter) i dont know exactly what it does - anyone shed some light ??. he
says this is holding it back a lot and that they are quite a common failure
as water gets inot them!! put new NGK Platinum plugs in also and turned down
the boost a touch until the new solenoid arrives which he says willl make a
hell of a difference.it has stopped overboosting but feels a tad slower
cause of the less boost - still quick though. i am getting a dump valve
fitted to the boost pipe anyway (whats this about blocking off the
wastegate???) i am also getting a full stainless 2.5" exhaust for 200 quid
with any tail pipe i want which is not bad.