PDA

View Full Version : Back from england - The White SR

krobinson
30-04-07, 06:22 PM
Well folks i arrived back from england last night. Very very disapointed.

It was a 380 mile drive to wakefield, stayed the night with my gran and then drove 180 miles to pick up the "mint" nova.

On arrival he took us straight to see the history, which is migthy impressive. Every MOT, every receipt!

Then out to the garage, i got inside to reverse it out. Interior was mind blowing, seats were gorgeous and hardly ever sat in, mileage at this point was unreal at 15k miles.

Pulled the car outside and started to look. It looked fantastic, like the cleanest SR i'd ever seen, until.....

Me and dad noticed the rear near side quater panel. It had been painted, badly, was terrible orange peel and it stood out against the smooth paint on the door. The window surround was covered in overspray, as was the B pillar vinyl. NOT GOOD.

Then we closely inspected the rest. Both front wings were painted, vinyl replaced with paint below! Also not a great finish on them.

It gets better! We looked along the sills and noticed that there was 4 clamp marks, two on each sill! Marks that couldnt only mean one thing. It was smashed and put on a Jig to pull it straight!

Next we popped the bonnet to find that the bonnet wasnt original, and was nearly in primer underneath the paint was so bad. The drivers inner wing had seam sealer everywhere and was painted. And it has a complete front panel, complete with big messy welds holding it on. Also big runs of paint down it.

The headlights and grill had also been replaced.

The guy denys even noticing any of this, and said that if anything did happen then it would have been fixed at vauxhall (its his mums nova). Just shows that vauxhall are useless at fixing anything. The car is totally not genuine, and the only reason i would buy it would be for the interior. Which is worth ?150 max.

I'm gutted, and dont think i'll ever buy another car off ebay. I got lucky with the 1.4L but this SR is a total waste of space. Please no one even entertain the guy, its worth nothing. I'd rather buy a rotten one for ?400 and spend the ?2400 restoring it.

Keith

krobinson
30-04-07, 06:25 PM
Just to add. There was also rust under the headlights, and along the inner seams of the chassie legs. Obviously not sealed after the smash.

Stuart
30-04-07, 06:26 PM
a live and learn thing for buying a car for a shed load of cash blind...

Iain
30-04-07, 06:26 PM
So I'm guessing you left without the car? Bet you're well annoyed. I would only buy a car off eBay if I had the chance to view it beforehand...

Adam
30-04-07, 06:27 PM
Did you pay a deposit too?
Got that back?

vaughanmc
30-04-07, 06:30 PM
bad news that keith -- shows that all 'genuine' cars might not be genuine...

and u even sold KDZ...what a shame

NickWalliams
30-04-07, 06:30 PM
Lucky you didnt pay him a deposit then keith, Its always a risk buying off ebay etc I know lots of people who have driven to places like scotland etc to buy 'minters' only to find that they are complete sheds.

Crack on with your turbo project and put this behind you thats what I say!

:thumb:

krobinson
30-04-07, 06:31 PM
Nope, no deposit paid or nothing. Just money lost on trip. I did buy a mint 1.8 cavalier for a runabout tho. Only cost ?100 and its ten times the car that SR is.

Benn
30-04-07, 06:36 PM
oh,bugger so it was ****e then,
sorry to hear that dude,

SRimon
30-04-07, 06:43 PM
Savage!

At least you got to see your gran...

I've seen a lot of Novas that on the phone etc have been described as mint, they generally aren't, like you my red 1.0 was mint like the bloke said.

Live and learn, and like said, crack on with the turbo!

draper
30-04-07, 06:58 PM
unlucky mate

big gra
30-04-07, 07:32 PM
have you got a link to the auction, think i remember seeing it!

Lynsey
30-04-07, 07:42 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about that... What a ****! Good luck finding something better :)

Riggy
30-04-07, 09:55 PM
gutted to hear it was a ****ter keith ,but as you said you didnt really want to spend the turbo fund :thumb:

RJM25R
30-04-07, 10:50 PM
Shame after all the aggro.

Mike
30-04-07, 11:47 PM
**** me matey, gutted for you!

as for him saying it was a GM repair? B@ll****, a QC Inspector wouldnt have let it leave with clamps marks on the syll panels :thumb:

Cormac
01-05-07, 12:32 AM
Sorry to hear this keith as a genuinely mint sr with low miles would have been a real find, Chin up tho gives you more money to invest into the turbo project!!

Will F
01-05-07, 08:51 AM
:mad: Unbelievable

It makes you think though the seller MUST have realised that it was a shed. AND he knew you were travelling from Ireland!!!

WHAT A TOSSER, seems you have great anger management Keith... I would have taken it for a "test drive" into the nearest hedge.

craig green
01-05-07, 09:57 AM
Too good to be true.

No doubt the lad that listed it on ebay for his Mum is some kind of double glazing salesman by day. He's so used to believing his own 8ull 5h!t that he got carried away & forgot the obvious truth, staring him in the face.

Gutted for you Keith.

Mazz
01-05-07, 02:23 PM
At least no money was lost (apart from the road trip) Tis a real shame though dude, as if it was genuine then it would made a cracking show car..never mind, live and learn, etc etc.. :)

peester
01-05-07, 06:31 PM
wonder if itll get re-advertised mentioning the repairs...

peester
01-05-07, 07:10 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-1-4-sr-15-000-miles-time-warp-1-owner_W0QQitemZ290111779517QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1009 32QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ooh.. he's gone with the 'mutual' thing...

big gra
01-05-07, 07:12 PM
wish i had an ebay account, would send him messages saying i hope hes going to tell everyone about the damage and it been on a jig at some point!

krobinson
01-05-07, 07:20 PM
To the untrained eye it looks a stunning SR. Its only the fact i'm a picky **** that i noticed it. Its still not worth the ?2400 its advertised for. Its worth about ?1000.

It was worth ?2500 all day long as a mint original. I just wasnt paying that when i knew the front was smashed, wings replaced, quater had sanding marks from the filler in it.

Keith

Mazz
02-05-07, 02:59 PM
"Hi, Could you send me some close-up pics of the front panel, inners wings and sill's please.

Thanks, Chris.."

Just have to wait for a reply..

draper
02-05-07, 03:01 PM

i was wondering that lol

thunderpants
02-05-07, 03:14 PM
sounds interesting, shame you got no pics of it

reminds me of a white nova i went to look at years ago

thunderpants
02-05-07, 03:15 PM
der, i only just saw the link to ebayer

Ash
02-05-07, 03:31 PM

very few marks. touched up but very very tidy

lol - so over spray is tidy these days?

Andy_L
02-05-07, 04:16 PM
To the untrained eye it looks a stunning SR. Its only the fact i'm a picky **** that i noticed it. Its still not worth the ?2400 its advertised for. Its worth about ?1000.

It was worth ?2500 all day long as a mint original. I just wasnt paying that when i knew the front was smashed, wings replaced, quater had sanding marks from the filler in it.

Keith

Yeah cos it looks stunning in the pictures amazing how they can be so misleading. Were there any receipts to prove the 'work' done by vauxhall??

Glad you didn't buy it and find out later!

:thumb:

krobinson
02-05-07, 11:21 PM
Anyone live close enough to go have a look at it? point out all the faults, laugh and drive off, just like i did.

Keith

krobinson
11-05-07, 09:36 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-1-4-sr-15-000-miles-time-warp-1-owner_W0QQitemZ290111779517QQihZ019QQcategoryZ1009 32QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sold for 2k... Who fancies e-mailing the seller telling them what faults to point out to the seller? and then offer ?25

tony k
11-05-07, 10:13 PM
unlucky mate sorry to hear that there are loads of people out there like that i know got stitched up years ago got my money back tho theres plenty more out there

peester
11-05-07, 10:14 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-mk1-time-warp_W0QQitemZ330116816822QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10093 2QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

show him what he could have won??

Dec16v
23-05-07, 11:50 AM
Only just seen this Keith... unlucky mate, things aren't always as they seem heh?

:(

Dec

wisewood
23-05-07, 12:05 PM
Money lost on trip - a couple of hundred quid maybe? Spending a night with your gran - priceless!

As Stu said, it's an exercise in live and learn really. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

wisewood
23-05-07, 12:09 PM
it has been pointed out to me that a wing and bonnet have been changed at some time, but a vauxhall proper job, in vauxhall workshop, with vauxhall parts, paint match is outstanding. my mum says she hit something years ago, great, gave it to main agent. to deal with.

please remember its 16 years old, my mum hit gate post, years back, hence wing ,bonnet changed, over its life bits touched up ,but by vauxhall main agent. its a very clean tidy sports hatch, but not pristine, or show winner,its a very very low milage usable fun, car ,that will take you any place, 100% reliable

in response to your emails, yes i have a vauxhall, repair certificate, which covers labour, parts, for bonnet, wing replacement, so buy with 100% CONFIDENCE, the work was done properly, by vauxhall body shop, in keeping with this fantastic cars history

How much of this information was shared with you before you bid on it Keith?

craig green
23-05-07, 12:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vauxhall-nova-mk1-time-warp_W0QQitemZ330116816822QQihZ014QQcategoryZ10093 2QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

show him what he could have won??

Keck me! How nice? :eek:

Pillar
23-05-07, 12:42 PM
thats twice thats happened now isnt it? gutting