PDA

View Full Version : Building a Nova 1.7TD

Andy_L
30-04-07, 01:28 PM
Hi,

I?m after some information about building a Nova with a 1.7TD engine.

In an ideal world I?d like to be able to use it everyday but still do the odd track day in it. However as I?ve not even started looking for a suitable car to do the conversion with and I?ve been told a few people on here have built ?em but had a few issues with the cars staying together I thought I?d ask the experts.

Now i've never done anything like this before but is it out of the reach of someone with time and common sense?

Any help/advice/piss taking greatly recieved

:thumb:

Stuart
30-04-07, 01:36 PM
experts is a wildly vivid way to describe what those two animals burgo and baxter do to these engines/cars....

General Baxter
30-04-07, 01:36 PM
1) you will need a 1.5td shell (engine mounts diff)
2) will need a good shell
3) Repair shell
4) add HH sternethen kit
5) BIG Brakes, there heavy engines lol
6) Add F28, i seem to kill F20 gearboxs lol

experts is a wildly vivid way to describe what those two animals burgo and baxter do to these engines/cars....
its the future i get 35+mpg on full boost lol

Andy_L
30-04-07, 01:41 PM
1) you will need a 1.5td shell (engine mounts diff)
2) will need a good shell
3) Repair shell
4) add HH sternethen kit
5) BIG Brakes, there heavy engines lol

its the future i get 35+mpg on full boost lol

Aha Andyracer has been singing your praises (well mentioned you anyway lol )

Are TD shells hard to get hold of?
FPMSL @ 2 and 3.
I'll google number 4! Does it make it hard to live with on a day to day basis??
BIG as in V6 Discs and Calipers or BIGGER??

MM 35MPG. Is that on veggie oil or can you not use it once tuned?? :thumb:

General Baxter
30-04-07, 01:42 PM
I'll google number 4! Does it make it hard to live with on a day to day basis??

dont know the shell only lasted a week with the 1.8 in i went thru 1 F20 and bent the chasis rail lol

P.s there smokey once tuned lol

Andy_L
30-04-07, 01:46 PM
dont know the shell only lasted a week with the 1.8 in i went thru 1 F20 and bent the chasis rail lol

P.s there smokey once tuned lol

So reliable then!!

I'll have to call her bandit then!

General Baxter
30-04-07, 01:48 PM
THE KILL LIST - C20xe nova, C20xe astra, sri130 cavalier

i dont think there to bad to be honest

they are tech a large block engine, unless you change over the 1.5 stuff to run the smaller box!

but you wont get good power with out spending money ;) i think the limit is about 110bhp and about 130LB from the std engine (thats an estimate)

Andy_L
30-04-07, 01:50 PM
Spending money?? Thousands or hundreds??

they are tech a large block engine, unless you change over the 1.5 stuff to run the smaller box!

Ummm???

General Baxter
30-04-07, 01:52 PM
well to get where mine is iv got a recept for ?1390 but that was some mega work lol

people say you can get a let for that, but lets have over 100K on, but who cares what milage a derv has, they run for ever lol

and the engine was free lol all ready converted to run in a nova

Andy_L
30-04-07, 01:55 PM
well to get where mine is iv got a recept for ?1390 but that was some mega work lol

Hmm on the basis that meant iot nearly pulled the car apart I don't think I'll go quite that far!!

In all honesty somewhere near 175LBS of torque would be nice

And I thought of the TD to be a bit different from all the LET's XE's etc.

Can you not just use the Astra or Cav gearbox that it comes with rather than changing to F16/F20/F28?

General Baxter
30-04-07, 02:01 PM
large block = same a fitting a 2L engine (gearbox only side)

beef@novadose.net
30-04-07, 02:04 PM
One of the boys did this a few years back. Project GDi lol. Pretty straight forward iirc. Think we swopped all the 1.5 pulleys onto the 1.7 engine, and bodge some boost pipes as the 1.7 turbo is mounted 180degrees differently compared the 1.5 for the intercooler.

Once he started fiddling with the boost it didn't last long. It was funny running 2.0 bar tho lol, and pulled away from my 1.6 GSi, but with the fuelling upped so much to match the boost I don't think it was very economical lol.

http://www.sw-cc.com/beef/bap/bapscooler.jpg
http://www.sw-cc.com/beef/bap/passfront.jpg
http://www.sw-cc.com/beef/bap/rear1.jpg

General Baxter
30-04-07, 02:05 PM
1.5 dont have an intercooler ;)

lol my intercooler
http://www.streetrace.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5171&d=1176128186

Andy_L
30-04-07, 02:06 PM
FMPSL i've just been refreshing this for last few mins thinking is he gonna reply, didn't realise was onto the second page! lol What a tool!

Ah with you on the gearbox.

Dude thanks for your time is it ok if I PM ya (as I need to get back to work) with my next million questions to ask?

Ta

And

beef@novadose.net
30-04-07, 02:12 PM
1.5 dont have an intercooler ;)

lol my intercooler
http://www.streetrace.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5171&d=1176128186

Lol! That's more Iveco than Isuzu! lol :thumb:

craig green
30-04-07, 02:24 PM
Why dont you just try a 1.5TD & see what you think of it from std.

My 1.5 has got a reasonable kill list tbh & its std.

A front mount 'cooler, straight through exhaust, with some decent brakes & sorted handling would make it even more fun.

I've got all the bits to tune mine, but as I now have a company car I dont have the room to keep it.

J4MES
30-04-07, 02:56 PM
craig were you not looking to sell the TD a couple of months ago?? Might be interested in a few months if you've still got it??

craig green
30-04-07, 03:40 PM
Yer still FS. Ideally would be gone in a few months or kept as a diesel track car (LOL) project.

Andy_L
01-05-07, 08:54 AM
Why dont you just try a 1.5TD & see what you think of it from std.

My 1.5 has got a reasonable kill list tbh & its std.

A front mount 'cooler, straight through exhaust, with some decent brakes & sorted handling would make it even more fun.

I've got all the bits to tune mine, but as I now have a company car I dont have the room to keep it.

Dude are you a salesman?? lol Yer patter's working on me!!

Yer still FS. Ideally would be gone in a few months or kept as a diesel track car (LOL) project.

If you've still got it in a few months and I've got the cash I'll be over to have a look.

P.S. Disel track car mmmmmmmmm lol