PDA

View Full Version : E16SE starting troubles

Iain
29-04-07, 06:42 PM
Attempted to start my E16SE earlier, however it turns over on the starter motor but does not fire. It's wired in correctly as far as I can tell, with just the basic wires to get it working (ignition live, battery +, fuel pump..)

It's a pretty vague question but does anybody have any ideas as to what could be causing the problem. :confused:

mowgli
29-04-07, 07:14 PM
have you taken the dizzy cap off with the engine turning to see if there is a spark? I know it is a bit dangerous, but the spark should get to the leads before your hand.
is fuel getting there?
you have used a high pressure injection pump, cos over the years, loads of people have stuck a facet red top pump in the line & it is not a pressure pump, just a feed.
Daft question, but is there loads of fuel? and have you turned the ignition on & off about 50 times (when on, wait till the pump noise stops) to prime the fuel system.

Iain
29-04-07, 07:22 PM
I've just put a jerry can of fuel in, and it's being delivered to the fuel rail fine by an Astra MPI pump so yes I think the fueling is okay.

Not sure about that fuel system priming but I've been turning it over and think the fuel lines are fine (if by priming you mean removing air).

I'm a bit weary of testing sparks as I managed to get plenty of petrol everywhere in the engine bay. You reckon if I remove the dizzy cap by a few inches I should be able to see if there's a spark or not?

SRI crazy
30-04-07, 06:39 PM
stick a timing light on and see of there is a spark best way without blowing urself to kingdom come lol lol

Iain
30-04-07, 06:42 PM
My mate tested for a spark the dodgy way lol It's getting fuel and a spark apparently.

SRI crazy
01-05-07, 11:07 PM
rite sounds like the crank sensor aint getting a signal i have an sri and times it turns bt no sprak no fuel, then itl flick everything and go no idea why, did n e body else hav dis trouble?

Adam
02-05-07, 12:26 AM
It dont have a crank sensor.

Im still doubting fuel is entering the engine Iain,Lol.
If it has a spark, thats all that can be stopping it from firing.

Assuming the engine has complete pistons/valves fitted, lmao.

SRI crazy
03-05-07, 09:38 AM
i thought they had crank sensors? aw well you cnt be ritght bout everything lol lol

Adam
03-05-07, 05:48 PM
SRi has crank sensor, e16se dont.
They have different management systems.

stevie78
03-05-07, 09:35 PM
ive just put the same engine in my sri and had the same problem.until i wired up the taco straight from gsi plug too coil and it went first crack:thumb:

Iain
03-05-07, 09:53 PM
Saw your other post. Sounds crazy but hopefully it'll work lol I'll try it when I have some free time (next week). Cheers.

nova ian
03-05-07, 09:55 PM
You can check for a spark also by having the plu in the lead, and earthing it on something metal, ie. the rocker cover and when you turn it over you shold be able to see the spark.

You put a new coil on?? Also the coil amplifer, which is like a metal plate under the coil can play up. I went through a couple on mine. When it went it did the same as yours, just turned over but no fire.

Also make sure your plugs are gapped properly.

Hope it helps.

Ian

Iain
05-05-07, 12:22 PM
Aye my mate held the plug against the rocker cover and it has spark. Okay cool I may replace the coil and check gaps on the plugs (once I found out what that is lol)
Will tell you if I have any success but have absolutely no time to go and work on it at the moment.