PDA

View Full Version : pig to start

big gra
28-04-07, 09:28 PM
right, when i changed from a 1.2 to a 1.4 sr i couldent get the manual choke off so left the auto choke on, put all the piping on and connected it up. when i start my car in the morning it starts straight away, but if i try and start it when its warm it turns over for ages and needs a pump on the accelerator to start, but it feels like it only just gets going and then the revs pick up and its fine! will it be the choke not working right, can it be fixed or am i best geting a manual choke?

mowgli
28-04-07, 09:34 PM
could be anything, fuel evaporation, coil breaking down, timing, sparkplugs, ht leads, airlock in the cooling system causing it to run hot.

Jon_nova1
28-04-07, 09:34 PM
its the choke, mine used to do it, i dreaded stopping at petrol stations, if you can, get your manual choke on it ;)

big gra
28-04-07, 09:39 PM
i tried for ages to get it off but the screws were solid and rounding out! ive had new leads, plugs, set the timing with a gun! i dread stopping sometimes aswell!

mowgli
28-04-07, 09:40 PM
get a replacement carb, or wd40 the screws a lot

big gra
28-04-07, 09:46 PM
will give it a go, or has any1 got a 1.4 carb with manual choke for sale or wants to swap for one with an auto choke??

Jon_nova1
28-04-07, 09:48 PM
try a stud extractor? just wait till you get petrol, then you'll know how bad it is lol i once got stranded at the pump because of that, the battery went flat and we couldn't even push start it, it just chugged abit then died lol

big gra
28-04-07, 09:54 PM
yea, thats why i want to do something about it, especially with a long drive to PVS cuming up! could end up stranded at services!

Jon_nova1
28-04-07, 09:57 PM
you wont be stranded, you'll just have to wait for the engine to cool down lol or take the air filter off and close the top butterfly abir before starting it lol

SRI crazy
28-04-07, 11:47 PM
you could take the flap outa it an jus when ur tryn to start it warm give it a pump to get it going lol