PDA

View Full Version : no lamda sensor?

womble sri
28-04-07, 05:46 PM
i have hust fitted a s/s manifold and exhaust and didnt bother wiring the lamda up as my friend said it would make no difference i thoufght it had something to do with the way the car would fuel. on the way back the engine management light came on :roll: is that because of the sensor? is the sensor only for MOT purposes or should i wire it back up. car is an sri by the way

cheers neil

Welsh Dan
28-04-07, 05:58 PM
The lambda sensor picks up whether the engine is running rich or lean so that the ecu can compensate so that it doesnt damage the cat. I'd wire it back up.

Adam
28-04-07, 06:04 PM
Yes its needed for best efficiency and economy, the ecu light will come on when it recognises no lambda signal.

big gra
28-04-07, 09:21 PM
the engine will not run as well, ull either notice a lack in power, or high fuel consumtion!

mowgli
28-04-07, 09:23 PM
has the exhaust got a mounting hole for the sensor?

womble sri
29-04-07, 02:16 AM
yes it has a lamda in it i just couldnt be ****d after much blood sweat and tears after removing the old and putting in the new plus my mate said it would be fine but il wire it up in the morning.

once the engine management light has come on do i need to get the fault codes reset?

Stuart
29-04-07, 09:20 AM
30 key cycles should reset the ecu light..

mowgli
29-04-07, 09:49 AM
what does your mate do?

Adam
29-04-07, 12:32 PM
Disconnect the batt for a bit, wire the lambda.
Then connect the batt.

That should take the code off, and hopefully it wont come back on again as soon as it see's a lambda signal.

womble sri
29-04-07, 01:03 PM
ok cheers i havent done it yet not been up long what do you mean by 30 key cycles stu?

Adam
29-04-07, 02:42 PM
Turning ign on and off 30times i think.

Not sure why he said that tho, just disconnect the batt, much easier.

womble sri
29-04-07, 04:20 PM
ok ill try that i have reconnected the lamda now and the light is off although it didint stay on the whole time it was disconnected it sounds as if its missing but its running ok is that lean mode? i wouldnt say its down on power but then the manifold might of added some performance the lod lamda might not work also but i have a new one so if the light comes on ill try that one. dont the diagnostics computers that check the codes tell you how its running?

Rich
29-04-07, 05:28 PM
They can take a little time to relearn the o2 sensor etc, leave it running for a while and see if it sorts itself out.

Stuart
29-04-07, 10:21 PM
early ecu's had a 30 ign on-> off cycles to clear a fault code. It was deemed a "large" enough number that it wouldnt accidentally get cleared + meant garages without the high tech (hee hee) diagnostics gear could service ecu'd cars.

I think that number has been dropped to 20 on new tranny, but it still keeps the fault stored, jsut shuts off the mil light.

I doubt its advanced enough to learn how the lambda is... its either ok or not lol

womble sri
30-04-07, 08:21 PM
well i got it on th doagnostic computer today and there were no faults stored after disconnecting the battery yesterday and driving 50 miles today. so i think its alright although the comp didint have novas so we just put it through as a corsas sri