PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap

coochiSR
24-04-07, 05:54 PM
Want a bit more power out of my Nova, thought about putting a GSI engine in my SR shell, how easy? What would i need? And is it worth it, i.e. Power Gain, Modding?

Adam
24-04-07, 06:00 PM
Fit a mpi head and entire mpi system from a sri,mk3 astra.

coochiSR
24-04-07, 07:58 PM
Ok then Ad, what kinda gains would i be looking at? bigger TB's a possibility? and i guess i'll need loom, ecu, tank, lines and pump, anything else?

Mike
24-04-07, 10:46 PM
ive just finishing what your thinking about doing :thumb: putting a GTE engine into a SR, well a spin actually that had an SR engine in lol

Its pretty easy tbh, the wiring took me a bit of time to figure, but with some help from here and Baxter soon sorted it.

^^^is pretty much all you'll need, and some adeqaute brakes :thumb:

womble sri
24-04-07, 10:54 PM
sris arent that much slower than gsis with a few tweeks. i have an sri bottom end and could put together a fuel rail and sri/gsi head if you have trouble finding stuff

Mike
24-04-07, 10:57 PM
if you have a four branch manifold lying around for a 1.6 ill take it off your hands lol

Paul
25-04-07, 01:12 PM
coochi, if you get stuck for an engine then venture down to hanningfiled breakers, you will find its overflowing with c14se's in mk3 astras. theyre 82bhp as standard, remove cat and give it a good service and you will be near the performance of a c16se.

you will also find c16se's coming out of your ears in a yard i know.

Over a SR, a SRi is a hell of alot quicker, and in my opinion after having sri and gsi, theres feck all diffeence really....

Adam
25-04-07, 06:07 PM
Indeed/\ I'd go for a c14se/make it a c14se.
I'd only fit a 1600 8v if you were modding it(40s, or mappable management or something)

The std 1.4 8v throttle body is fine, as is the inlet etc, its flows well as std.

coochiSR
27-04-07, 05:02 PM
How easy would it be to make quicker though? I don't really wanna be stuck and have to swap engine to get a little brake, if that makes sense

Paul
27-04-07, 07:06 PM
the c14se feels 100times quicker than a SR.

Its not a commonly tuned engine however, but theyre easy to get hold of compared to the 1600 8V's. Also because you can get them out of a family hatch, and not out of a chavvy boyracers thrashed abused gte/gsi theyre more likely to be in better condition....

coochiSR
28-04-07, 01:54 PM
I dunno, mine werent much slower than the SRi Neil owns, Well he was 3 up and i werent but he couldn't budge me and yeah i get ya