PDA

View Full Version : Imigration

Lynsey
24-04-07, 05:39 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever bought a car from abroad... eg Germany? Because I'm looking at doing this but I haven't a clue what rules there are about it. Any help will be appreciated, just don't confuse me!! :thumb:

Nova-Dan
24-04-07, 05:42 PM
well you have to pay loads for import tax,my dad bought a speaker set,only a smalkl box,30cm by 30cm and the import tax was ?35

Jack
24-04-07, 05:44 PM
^ VAT and Duty varies depending on what you're importing, so you can't really compare it to goods of a different kind.

Have you considered insurance and the fact most Euro cars will be left hookers?

Lynsey
24-04-07, 05:47 PM
Have you considered insurance and the fact most Euro cars will be left hookers? yep :D

big gra
24-04-07, 05:49 PM
you will have to pay import tax, have it MOT'D by a british garage because of headlight allignments etc and then have an englidsh registration! plus costs of geting it over here!! well worth it though!

Jack
24-04-07, 05:51 PM
MOT depends on the make/model, it may require an SVA test.

Have a look here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583), it'#ll give you a bit more info on whats required. I'm not exactly sure what the VAT & Duty rules are for European goods, as everything I've imported has come from Japan, USA or the Middle East - have a look on the HMR&C (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk) site.

[edit] Also take a look here (http://www.fiatbarchetta.com/forsale/import.html), lists some info about importing a used vehicle from Germany.

Lynsey
24-04-07, 05:59 PM
Thanks guys... Am looking on those sites now RJ. :D

bump
24-04-07, 06:56 PM
It's worth having a tax lawyer look into it as well. HMRC will try to extract as much as they can, regardless of legality. If tax has been paid in Germany then under common market law then it shouldn't be added when crossing into the UK.

IIRC import duty is not required if the originating item is in the EU.

Lee
24-04-07, 08:00 PM
Bear in mind a left hooker is a real pain in the ass as a day to day car Lynz, overtaking is dangerous, and going though a drivethrough or into a carpark where you have to take a ticket can be a nightmare.

Getting out the car on a hard shoulder is nice and safe though lol

Stuart
24-04-07, 08:16 PM
It had better be worth it...

Mike
24-04-07, 10:52 PM
Bear in mind a left hooker is a real pain in the ass as a day to day car Lynz, overtaking is dangerous, and going though a drivethrough or into a carpark where you have to take a ticket can be a nightmare.

Getting out the car on a hard shoulder is nice and safe though lol

and as a result there more to insure & very hard to re-sell!!

Lynsey
25-04-07, 10:18 AM
Yeah but I wouldn't be using it every day, I don't do drivethru's, and I wouldn't be leaving it in a carpark unless I really had to... in which case I would get my inspector gadget arm out :D I don't see why overtaking would be that dangerous once I am used to the car ;) And I would hope that I'm not going to have to be getting out on any hard shoulder.

It had better be worth it...
That just depends on personal opinion. I like it, so I think it is worth it.

Jack
25-04-07, 11:13 AM
Aren't most Euro cars available with UK equivalents though? Jap or American I could understand...

Stuart
25-04-07, 12:20 PM
a delta? hmmmm

hendrix
25-04-07, 12:29 PM
we imported a mk1 astra GTE (kadett D) from Germany in around 1989, dunno what was involved tho as I was only 5 lol. do remember tho it was an amazing car

Jack
25-04-07, 12:33 PM
a delta? hmmmm
Can get quite a decent range of UK deltas though. Stratos maybe? :D

Lynsey
25-04-07, 07:30 PM
lol lol lol I would love a Delta, eh ANDYRACER? Don't go getting excited as you will only be disappointed when I get it lol

Jack
25-04-07, 07:33 PM
its one of these isn't it

http://www.wesselton.nl/images/poteau44_duitsehalftrack_063.jpg

Lynsey
25-04-07, 07:34 PM
Damn... I got busted!!

Lee
25-04-07, 08:01 PM
Got to admit that finding clean retro vauxes is easier on the continent. I may be planning a trip out there to find a Kadett C Coupe for a friend in the near future.

And overtaking is nothing to do with getting used to it Lynz, its the fact you have to stick half the car into oncoming traffic before you can see round what your overtaking lol

Lynsey
25-04-07, 08:05 PM
I won't overtake then :D promise ;)

Lynsey
25-04-07, 08:06 PM
I won't need to overtake in that bad boy, just drive over them hehe lol