PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 engine build

LUV2XLR8
24-04-07, 04:11 PM
right at the moment i have a bare block ready to rebuild. this is my first time adventuring into building an engine (probably my last too) :roll:

anyway, i have ready...

mains and big end bearings,
piston rings,
oil pump,
water pump,

i know i need a sump gasket but what else do i need as in sealant, lube etc? :confused:

any help would be great :D

Adam
24-04-07, 04:24 PM
A good Torque wrench/angle gauge if you dont have one.

RTV/Silicone sealent for the sump gasket.
And i think for one of the main caps.

Haynes a engine re-build guide.

LUV2XLR8
24-04-07, 04:29 PM
i have the haynes book, this silicone sealant, is it the same stuff you would use to seal a thermostat houseing?
i have a torque wrench, but not an angle gauge.

garyc
24-04-07, 05:01 PM
Head set and bottom end set, will ensure you have new gaskets everywhere! Get some of the black sensor safe silicon sealer.

LUV2XLR8
24-04-07, 05:10 PM
black is it? the one i have is red.
how much would i be looking at for a bottom end set?

Adam
24-04-07, 05:11 PM
Need a ring compressor too if you dont already have one.

LUV2XLR8
24-04-07, 05:13 PM
yea i can get hold of one. just want to get the thing together now and i'l probably run it in on the standard sr carb.

SUP4NOV4
24-04-07, 09:31 PM
Hi mate you dont really need that much, if your building the full engine the a full engine gasket set would be the best way top and bottom dont start sealing everthing up with sealer if it gets into the oil siump it can block the strainer and corse oil starvation no preasure.
Like allready said
Gasket sets
Pistion ring compresor
torqe wrench
it really depends on how good a job you want mate do you know what your really doing fitting the pistons directions, also set your ring gaps if you need any advise please ask

Jon_nova1
24-04-07, 09:36 PM
lol i was going to ask about setting ring gaps, then i realised you meant how far away the gaps should be from one another lol

in all honesty if the engine was ok in the first place id suggest just changing the piston rings, and while the pisons are out do the shell bearings, and do the water an oil pump, we all know water pumps should be replaced when possible, and the oil pump, although not essential would be an advantage, i've noticed with my new one the low oil pressure light goes out when the cars turning over, which must be good lol

SUP4NOV4
24-04-07, 09:40 PM
Sorry also dont firget to renew head bolts, and new cam belt.
Also renew mains bolts and dependnt on big end bolt length renew these bolts to just to make sure really depends on how reliable you want it.
And dont forget new oil and filter

SUP4NOV4
24-04-07, 09:43 PM
Dont have the ring gaps all in a row and not on the thrust side of the engine mate make sure you oil them bores before fitting the pistons

Jon_nova1
24-04-07, 09:45 PM
you mean the cam side? yer i know about the setting

if you look in the haynes it'll tell you what bolts need replacing, the longer ones dont, the 23MM?? do

SUP4NOV4
24-04-07, 10:09 PM
I think its 15mm thread length is 28nm and the 40mm thread length is a new bolt and 25nm + 30 degree

LUV2XLR8
24-04-07, 11:41 PM
sound info fellas, ive been swatting up with the haynes earlia, think i should be able to manage it. would my local motor factor be able to get me a full engine gasket set?
im going to be using the engine in my road rally car, so i need decent reliability. i will replace the head bolts, pumps etc
so you say i need to change the big end bolts also?
can i use any bolts that are the same size or do they have to be of a certain metal?

SUP4NOV4
25-04-07, 12:25 AM
Use the proper bolts mate or even get some uprated ones