PDA

View Full Version : nova redtop fueling

novathere
24-04-07, 02:46 PM
ive got a redtop in my nova and im using a facet redtop pump (external) and the engine is standard. when i floor it, it really stutters and its like im pushing a nos button, holds back then goes. could this be the fuel pump? if so is there a better one to use? like a omega 3litre one etc. ive put a 3bar regulator on it which hasnt made much difference good or bad an i still have the problem. i also put blue injectors on it which made it overfuel a hell of a lot so there now off. any help would be great cheers.

craig green
24-04-07, 03:09 PM
Keep the injectors the engine came with. (cleaned ideally).

best pump is depending on what tank you have, an MPi type tank & pump from a Nova GTE/GSi or Astra GTE 16v or if its an SPi tank use an intank pump from the likes of a Calibra or Cav GSi.

I thought the Facet Red tops were for carb set ups in which case, what you describe is fuel starvation. Injection requires 50psi fuel pressure wheras a carb engine uses a supply of approx 5 psi.

What tank are you using? (from what car?)

Stuart
24-04-07, 03:10 PM
sounds like its an incorrect fuel pump issue...

novathere
24-04-07, 03:17 PM
its a mk1 1.4sr tank. my mate has same engine, car & set up etc and his is fine? if theres a better pump u recommend then ill go for that because im not totally impressed buy this one. where could i get the injectors cleaned?

craig green
24-04-07, 03:36 PM
Use a MPi tank from a Nova GTE or GSi. Also use the pump from the same car or one of the many motorsport pumps available from Walbro, Bosch etc.

Have you got feed & return fuel lines from the tank, to pump, to fuel rail (engine) return to tank? Circuit basically.

Adam
24-04-07, 03:40 PM
It's a wonder your engine hasn't already melted.
Facet pump supplies about 5/6psi pressure, mpi system needs 9/10times that pressure.

Get a proper mpi tank and pump on.

novathere
24-04-07, 03:43 PM
i havent looked but must have because the fuel rail has a return which goes somewhere! is the mpi take a internal pump? if so will i have to cut a hole for it under the rear seats like the corsa's have standard?

craig green
24-04-07, 03:43 PM
I mean to add this will be an external pump if used with the GTE type Nova tank.

This kinda pump.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WALBRO-255-LPH-External-Inline-Fuel-Pump-GSL-392-GSL392_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33555QQihZ001QQi temZ110116327820QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

novathere
24-04-07, 03:44 PM
im gettin worried now! anyone got a tank an pump spare?!?!?!?:confused:

craig green
24-04-07, 03:46 PM
i havent looked but must have because the fuel rail has a return which goes somewhere! is the mpi take a internal pump? if so will i have to cut a hole for it under the rear seats like the corsa's have standard?

No the external pumps hang off the chassis leg & have a feed from the tank, then pump high pressure fuel supply via the filter to the inlet on the fuel rail, this is held at the set pressure (within the rail) by the regulator at the return end, which allows unused fuel back to the tank (hence circuit).

craig green
24-04-07, 03:47 PM
im gettin worried now! anyone got a tank an pump spare?!?!?!?:confused:

Try a wanted ad :thumb:

Adam
24-04-07, 03:47 PM
You'll need fit an injection tank And pump.

novathere
24-04-07, 03:58 PM
right ok after crappin me pants ive made some calls. the guy who got me it and the guy who fitted it for me while i had my head in the engine are mugs and cant exchange information for sh*t. its not a facet pump, its a inline high pressure (much higher than 50psi apparently) fuel pump buy walbro for the 2.0 16v engine. so after all that what the hell's wrong now?!? am i flooding the engine when i floor it? obiously i wanna stop this splutter and id like to fit the blue injectors back in but what else could i uprate or change to stop the flooding if this is what it is?

novathere
24-04-07, 04:01 PM
off the subject for a sec....how much are them pvs tickets?!?!?

craig green
24-04-07, 04:06 PM
Ive just PMd you with an ebay link to a GTE tank & pump.

PVS tickets are ?10 per person & you get a car pass to park your Nova on the stand. Its ?14 to pay on the gate per person otherwise & you have to park in the car park. BARGAIN

Adam
24-04-07, 04:08 PM
Get the std injectors and fuel pressure regulator on.

Exactly what pump is it?

You have a carb tank too, which will cause fuel starvation when low on fuel and cornering.

novathere
24-04-07, 04:15 PM
the tank is going! ill put the standard bits back on but if i was to keep them what else would i need to uprate to stop it flooding? performance ht leads an sparks im guessing???

sounds good on the price for pvs but my nova has some really really embarassing usual rust on the drivers side it cant get any worse needs a new wing an door so thats why i havent bothered :p would my mate be able to use the stand pass thing? if not ill have to take the oooo's.lol

Adam
24-04-07, 04:25 PM
With the std injectors and regulator it wont be flodding.

craig green
24-04-07, 04:33 PM
Injection engines dont flood (really).

Get yer car on the stand & have it looking mint for next year. Year of the Nova (25 years of Novas celebration)

SRI crazy
24-04-07, 06:14 PM
it sounds like there is air getting into the fuel, have you noticed any petrol leaking or any strong smells of petrol?

novathere
25-04-07, 09:25 PM
yeah sometimes it stinks badly of fuel inside and out of the car whats this??

SRI crazy
25-04-07, 11:31 PM
petrol leak, does the pump get loud an then go quiet? hav u noticed any fuel on your drive or anything?

novathere
26-04-07, 07:44 PM
yeah it does go loud then quiet but i havent noticed any fuel on my drive, but then again its concrete so i prob wouldnt notice. where would it be leaking from? what area??

trossnova
26-04-07, 07:52 PM
i have a similer probelm my pump makes a horid noise then goes quiet again think their might be a leak and can only get 2 bar of presure max want three whats the problem?

SRI crazy
26-04-07, 11:39 PM
there is an air leak, when the pumps get loud it means they are lifting more air than fuel, there is either a spilt fuel pipe or else the is a loose fuel pipe, or else the pumps are dodgy, check all the pipes for cracks, or holes or splits hope that helps

novathere
27-04-07, 12:11 AM
thanks mate you have saved me so much bother! an thanks to everyone else for susgestions

trossnova
27-04-07, 10:51 AM
could it be the pump is not seald to the tank right?

SRI crazy
27-04-07, 06:54 PM
bt if its an external pump then there wuld be a fuel line loose lol