PDA

View Full Version : what should i do now?

chrisj_88
23-04-07, 07:17 PM
driving in my corsa b i recently got cut up on a roundabout and had to swerve to avoid an accident and hit the kerb. the nearside alloy wheel then travelled back and hit the wheel arch, which has pulled the rest of the front of the car round to the left. (it sounds bad but u can barely spot anything wrong)

so> the front bumper has moved to the left (to the right looking at the front of the car) the left wing has moved slightly back and up, and pushing the passenger door slightly round, so it still closes but catches when shut.

ive replaced the nearside bottom arm as this was bent, but when putting a new one in i could see the front anti roll bar was about 2 inches out of line with everything else. i managed to fit the arm in the end, but the left wheel is still further back than it should be, so when driving if you turn to the left the wheel scrapes on the arch. also the top of the wheel is poitning inwards and the whole of the wheel is slightly to the left.

ive been advised by a mechanic that the front of the chassis has all moved round to the left and will therefore need rejigging. i was wondering how much this is likely to cost? and whether it would be better to either try and sell the car on, split it into parts, or call the insurance (who will probably scrap it), bear in mind i have a ?600 excess!

sorry about the essay, any advice or thought welcome. cheers.

Lee
23-04-07, 07:21 PM
Holy crap, you must have clubbed the kerb hard!

You could get it jigged but it will never be as strong as it was. Id go shopping for a new shell if it were me.

Philsutton
23-04-07, 07:24 PM
ive been advised by a mechanic that the front of the chassis has all moved round to the left and will therefore need rejigging. i was wondering how much this is likely to cost? and whether it would be better to either try and sell the car on, split it into parts, or call the insurance (who will probably scrap it), bear in mind i have a ?600 excess!

yep sounds about right, on a nova when you kurb it, it just bends the lower arm but corsas have stronger ones with extra plate and they end up bending the chasis instead.

Lee
23-04-07, 07:27 PM
yep sounds about right, on a nova when you kurb it, it just bends the lower arm but corsas have stronger ones with extra plate and they end up bending the chasis instead.

Or straightens the tie bar. That was a new one the gf managed. Bless her lol

Philsutton
23-04-07, 07:30 PM
thats a good one, give her a smiley face for that

Stanley
23-04-07, 07:33 PM
I did a similar thing in my SR.

I went over a hump back bridge (VERY severe angle) at too high a speed, causing the car to nosedive hard into the road. It pushed the N/S wheel into the wing, bending it. It also turned the sump inside out and scratched the front of the GSi bumper badly (it was some angle it came down at!) The car was horrendous to drive and scrubbed all the tread off one tyre just taking it home.

I got under the car and had a look. Everything looked fine, nothing was out of place. I adjusted the tracking as a quick fix which helped alot but still wasnt great.I fitted a new bottom arm and hub, and somehow it rectified the problem.

I assume now that i managed to bend the hub as the bottom arm was fine.

Check your steering drumsticks and front shockers for bends etc

Driver
23-04-07, 08:59 PM
I did a similar thing in my SR.

I went over a hump back bridge (VERY severe angle) at too high a speed, causing the car to nosedive hard into the road. It pushed the N/S wheel into the wing, bending it. It also turned the sump inside out and scratched the front of the GSi bumper badly (it was some angle it came down at!) The car was horrendous to drive and scrubbed all the tread off one tyre just taking it home.

I got under the car and had a look. Everything looked fine, nothing was out of place. I adjusted the tracking as a quick fix which helped alot but still wasnt great.I fitted a new bottom arm and hub, and somehow it rectified the problem.

I assume now that i managed to bend the hub as the bottom arm was fine.

Check your steering drumsticks and front shockers for bends etc

did the same with my mk3 golf but it nose dived then fliped forward onto its roof :(

Ash
23-04-07, 10:42 PM
so far i've done 2 tie bars and 3 lower arms the shell is as straight as the day it was made.

As for your corsa, the cost and just the hassle of having it jigged, i'd get a new shell. must be loads around compaired to novas.

chrisj_88
24-04-07, 04:28 PM
thanks for the advice guys, ive decided to do wat most of you suggest and re-shell it, going to look at another shell tomorow. cheers.