PDA

View Full Version : timing marks on 1.4sr

Anonymous
07-01-02, 04:24 PM
Does any1 know wat i should time my car to its got a 290deg lift cam from pmc i rang them and the lad goes 5btdc but i dont fink he sounded too sure or is tis right, cause the crank pulley as two cuts in it one 10btdc and one 5btdc? also wats the crack wiv the cam shaft pulley notch, the one like a v cut out the casin. Its slightly off to the left of center is this right and do i get top dead by linin the top pulley wiv this nick cut out the casin, or should i just line it up wiv the center of the casing?.

Anonymous
07-01-02, 10:36 PM
The timing marks are to time the dizzy in but since you are modded up this won't be a lot of help since if yours is anything like mine it'll needed retarding. As far as I know its guess work and feel unless you get on a tuner - preferably a rolling road. I have read where you can do timed runs along the same piece of road - I rough tuned mine to within a gnats cock like this. The dizzy timing shows up quite well when driving but requires a lot of adjusting and re-checking.

As regards timing in the cam, with the std sprocket there is little you can do and yes the notches don't seem to line up exactly. The only way to time your cam in is get a vernier (or remove the locking dowel if you're sure the retaining bolt will stay tight enough to keep it all locked up tight).Then you will need the precise details of the degrees when the valves open and close from the manufacturer. You put a timing dial on the bottom pulley set to TDC and use something like an engineers dial gauge on one of the valves to work out when the valves actually open and close. Mine needed adjusting about 3 degrees.

Anonymous
08-01-02, 06:22 PM
mine needed a lot ov retard to run properlly, but i kept my standerd pully wheel so maybe this is why

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
08-01-02, 07:38 PM
ive got a kent cam vernier cam pulley

Anonymous
08-01-02, 08:43 PM
The Piper Vernier I got came wiv a kit to help set it up. I've been told that below 4 degrees you'd have a job to notice any diff.