PDA

View Full Version : In-tank MPI fuel pump

Iain
22-04-07, 04:36 PM
I recently fitted an Astra MPI fuel pump in to my tank but I was told it would not work properly as it is. What modifications do I need to do to ensure it works correclty and sits in the correct place?

It's a little deeper than the original pump:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/FuelPump.JPG

Philsutton
22-04-07, 05:02 PM
Looks like that should be alright tbh. What i was saying that the rubber hose that goes from top of the pump to the top of the fuel tank cover needs to shortened. Otherwise the filter on the bottom gets squashed on the bottom the tank an will starve the engine of fuel, no one actually tells you that though when they say fit a mpi pump. Its down to the mpi being longer. Looks like you have the whole astra pump assembly there?

Iain
22-04-07, 05:06 PM
Yes it's the complete unit out of the fuel tank. It fitted in initially, however now I have removed it to check if any modification is needed the thing won't go back in properly without hitting something! Grrr.

Philsutton
22-04-07, 05:09 PM
Im not sure what the astra ones fit like an if they needed to be modified, what i normally do is fit the mpi pump to the nova assembly but trim that top rubber hoseso it doesnt sit to far down on the bottom of the tank, if that makes sense.

Adam
22-04-07, 05:29 PM
As I said earlier, apparently the astra setup works, as its same tank fitment as a nova.
The pump does sit a bit lower in the tank than the spi one, but apparently is fine. :)