PDA

View Full Version : ECU Re-set

Anonymous
04-01-02, 12:56 PM
I'm just wondering when you should do an ECU re-set....i.e. which mods require it.

I've had my JP stainless zorst modded and fitted on the GTE this week (:D), and wonder if I should do an ECU re-set to allow for that or not?

I know when fitting a K&N 57i for example that you need to do it, but when else?

What about at a service? I fitted new dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads last week and wonder if I should do a re-set for that, or is it not necessary?

I'm going to do one anyway, but just though I'd ask when you should do it. ;)

Oh.....how long should you have the battery disconnected for? Is an hour or two ok, or longer?

Anonymous
05-01-02, 09:56 AM
ste is the master ov ecu resets and he says 1hour+ for the batt lead off, and he does one at every service.

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
05-01-02, 03:00 PM
easy answer...
how often do you have to reboot ur pc?

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

Anonymous
05-01-02, 06:22 PM
Is is good for your car to reset the Ecu? What does it actually do?

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
05-01-02, 07:49 PM
Cheers....I'll do it tomorrow then.

Darren......I'm not entirely sure what happens, but it re-sets the ECU to the original settings, then it adjusts it's self to the engine.....it learns what settings are best for the engine to run at it's optimum.
Um....for example, when you fit an induction kit the engine takes in more air so it needs to adjust it's settings to allow for this.
It might learn it's self, but it's quicker to do a re-set then it adjusts straight away.
It's more or less that anyway I think :)

Anonymous
06-01-02, 04:15 PM
yup thats right

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

Anonymous
06-01-02, 10:30 PM
Cheers so it,s quite worth while doing then, shurley your car will run a bit rough though until it settles down.

Twitchin like a pigs eye!

Anonymous
07-01-02, 10:30 AM
Not neccesarily. The factory settings will be very good and well researched for the particular lump. Unless major engine wear has occured (and I mean major) or something's broken, it'll run fine. Don't forget most carbs on high miles cars are completelt shagged and they still run OK. Engines are pretty resilient mainly int they?