PDA

View Full Version : Zoom Lenses? Anyone recommend

ade
20-04-07, 08:35 PM
right got meself a Canon 350d digital slr with a standard 18-55 lens and I'm afteer a half decent zoom lens.

The camera will accept almost all EF lenses and uses Canons EOS fitting system (apparantly) but I have no idea which one to choose.

I'm not wanting to spend mega bucks and know you get what you pay for (eg the L series which are pro's are anythong from ?800 up) but just want something that will give good detail on a 10x8 print (or 7x5) and is crisp enough for general photography.

Anyone receommend any?

Been searching for a while (eg Sigma, Canon and Tamron) but am getting mixed reports from all (looking at 200mm/300mm max).

Ade
:wtf:

Kinky Monza
20-04-07, 09:00 PM
Will have a word with a couple of togs tomorrow night and let you know on sunday what they say

ade
20-04-07, 11:05 PM
cheers matey!

been recommended canon 70-300 is usm but want summut a little cheaper...coz I'm tight!

Kinky Monza
20-04-07, 11:33 PM
Have a gander on fleabay, i know one of the togs i've shot with sold some of his stuff on there and it was the top of the range too! IIRC his ebay name was LOSTGOD1 ???

Stuart
21-04-07, 08:24 AM
have a word with bump, hes a legend with a camera.

bump
21-04-07, 09:21 AM
I'm here!

Look at the Tokina (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?photo/lenses/Tokina.html) lenses, on the cheaper end of the spectrum Tamron (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?photo/lenses/tamron.html) make some excellent lenses. The Tamron lenses I've found to be slightly better than the Canon standard series lenses, but the Tokina's are very closely matched to the L series.

Either the 18 - 200mm or the 28 - 200mm Tokina's should do the job your looking for.

ade
21-04-07, 05:50 PM
cheers - was looking at Tamrons versions of those two.

watching a few in ebay...

bump
22-04-07, 04:13 PM
Don't forget that most test reviews are undertaken by magazines, that often have a bias due to advertising spend. It's also really hard to understand a lot of the independent reviews without understanding curves, refraction indexes and chromatic shift graphs.

Consumer choice isn't easy.