PDA

View Full Version : Nova popping fusses!!!

stuartp
20-04-07, 07:31 PM
Right the problem is my nova keeps popping fusses. Its the 10amp fuss for the clocks.radio,interior light and fag lighter.
It only pops when i drive the car a few feet so its not a straight forward earthin problem i.e live cable damaged touching the body (or is it??) when i put a new one its ok untill i drive it again. Ive replaced the alternator because i first belived it was over charging but the same sytoms are happing.

p.s. the above isint the clearest of explonations but you get the drift and hopefully some of you peeps have an idea???

Cheers in advance stu

Dan 130
20-04-07, 08:23 PM
cant you just put in a 40 amp so it dont blow lol

mowgli
20-04-07, 09:35 PM
ok, I'd look for something like the radio wires not being insulated properly, or maybe a wire getting caught in round the foot pedals. if the car never does it while stationary then a physical movement is causing something to short. I would almost put money on it being the radio.

goldengraham
20-04-07, 11:44 PM

lol thats what i thought, although you will blow the radio up most probablylol

SRI crazy
21-04-07, 12:35 PM
if u put a 40 amp in u culd end up wif a fire lol check the radio wires and all the wires behind the dash an under the bonnet to lol

dannyb
21-04-07, 12:43 PM
Right the problem is my nova keeps popping fuses. Its the 10amp fuss for the clocks.radio,interior light and fag lighter.

My mk1 has a 25amp fuse (a white/clear one) for the interior light, clock, stereo. Ill get the paper thing from the fuse box cover to verify that this is the correct one.

Jon_nova1
21-04-07, 12:48 PM
yer the amp may be too low to start with? actually im sure most cd headunits are 15amp, what radio have you got?

Stanley
21-04-07, 12:49 PM
Im just gonna say whats already been said - check your stereo loom/connections.

Ive had all manor of bother with mine in the past.

General Baxter
21-04-07, 02:47 PM
stu im sure its suppost to be a 20amp!

stuartp
21-04-07, 02:58 PM

I wanna fix the problem not cover it up!!lol

Cheers lads
ive all ready took the radio out checked them wire, check wires in the engine bay and behind the fuss box there all ok.

ok, I'd look for something like the radio wires not being insulated properly, or maybe a wire getting caught in round the foot pedals. if the car never does it while stationary then a physical movement is causing something to short. I would almost put money on it being the radio.

I belive its some thing physical, ie when the engine is but under load it pops!!

Ive got a 10amp while i try and sort the problem thats more that adiquit because the steroe not fitted.

Any more advice????

mowgli
21-04-07, 07:04 PM
how about the engine earth strap on the gearbox. if they break, the engine has to earth somehow. I have heard of control cables shorting out.

stuartp
21-04-07, 07:54 PM
how about the engine earth strap on the gearbox. if they break, the engine has to earth somehow. I have heard of control cables shorting out.

tryed that well i but one should i say.:thumb:

big gra
22-04-07, 05:28 PM

dont put any other ampage fuse in other than the one stated, i did the same and put a 30amp in a 10amp socket and caused ?160 worth of re-wiring all because of a fuse!

SRlew
22-04-07, 10:42 PM
that fuse keeps blowing on mine. but only with the interior light by the windscrren in, so i just leave it out.

would that just be part of it touching the body?

ive_had_a_novadose
22-04-07, 11:47 PM
i know this is a long shot but everyone has said it to be something in and around the dahs but just take the interior light out so its dangling with the wires still connected and drive see if it carrys on popping fuses if it doesnt pop any fuses then theres where your problem is

Nazza's Nova
23-04-07, 11:27 PM
have u checked the relays? i had the problem with mine but it was my dash lights that were goin out all the time so i checked the relays and that was the problem

SRlew
24-04-07, 09:40 AM
i know this is a long shot but everyone has said it to be something in and around the dahs but just take the interior light out so its dangling with the wires still connected and drive see if it carrys on popping fuses if it doesnt pop any fuses then theres where your problem is

yeh thats where my problem is, i just took the light out and have the wires dangaling, also my brothers old gsi had to have the light out.

ive_had_a_novadose
24-04-07, 05:06 PM
what i did because i didnt want my light hanging down all the time is jus stick some cardbord or something to stop the metal carrier for the bulb touching the roof and it worked a treat but i geuss you could use bluetack or something lol

stuartp
26-04-07, 12:22 PM
Ive found the problem!!!

Fuel Level sensor!!

I noticed when i throught the car round a left bend the battery light stayed on but when i put it through a right hander it went off.
So that left me with three options.... brake fluid level(doubt full) battery (water moving off the fins) or the fuel level sensor in the tank.

So i jacked it up dissconected the sensor took it for a spin and its alll working fine again. No more popping fusses!!!

just got hold of a new float sensor so i'l swop them over.
cheers fellas

SRlew
26-04-07, 12:29 PM
ah right! glad youv sorted it mate, its annoying isnt it lol

cheers novadose, will try that