PDA

View Full Version : faster 1.2! faster!

Anonymous
03-01-02, 06:19 PM
I am seeing how quick I can get my 1.2 to go on the cheap now,as Im waiting for sensible insurance so I can get a mint GTE or something, at the mo the engine is well maintained,with a (cough!)1B1 carb with bolt on K&N,and a peco back box at the moment,however,I have just got hold of an SR camshaft and housing v cheap,and v clean,which I have heard benefits the 1.2 lump well,I have now also sent a cheque off for a weber 32/34 carb,inlet manifold,winter warm air kit(home made) and K&N bolt on,would my combo so far be enough to see off 1.3SRs?-Im also on the look out for more info on tuning a 1.2,but I cannot afford twin 40s just yet :( however,would twin 40s in a 1.3SR make it perform almost as well as a gte?-any info would be great,I also have a bolt on K&N filter for a 1B1 carb for sale in just over a week,done 2k miles only

sideskirts soon

Anonymous
04-01-02, 11:50 AM
fcuk me, dont spend that much on a 1.2

stick with the filter, zorst and cam and leave it, save the pennies for the GTE u want

Ged@RoyBacer.co.uk

Red mk2 on white GSi 15s

Anonymous
04-01-02, 12:11 PM
1.2 come on it rymes with poo.

Anonymous
04-01-02, 01:13 PM
Get hold of a 1.3 crankshaft and fit it in the 1.2 block....makes a 1.4 Just don't tell the insurance company :D

Actually.......I'm saying that....has anyone ever done that? Is it that easy?
I know the 1.2 has a larger bore than the 1.3, but has a shorter stroke, so if you fit the 1.3 crankshaft (with longer stroke) into a 1.2 (with the larger bore) it should make a 1.4 with slightly larger CC than a normal 1.4 Nova (I think).

Anyone know?

Bob....I don't know what power you'd be running with those mods you listed, but I would have though it won't be far behind a standard SR. You'll have 55 ish now (more or less standard as the K&N and Peco won't add much...maybe 2bhp?), but the Weber should add about 5 more along with the SR cam.
You could do with a full zorst system too to make the most of it though......a 1.3 manifold with twin down-pipes would help too.
I'd say you'd still only have about 60 to 65 at a stretch.....I could be totally wrong of course lol
Standard 1.3 SR (and all other 1.3 Novas, SR or otherwise) has 70 so still a bit behind.

Anonymous
04-01-02, 02:42 PM
u need to use the 1.3 rods from the 1.3 aswell and u will have to rehone the block cause there will be a step where the pistons havn't been b 4

p.s. the 1.2i crank and rods are the same as the 1.3 items.... and i just happen to have a 1.2 and 1.2i engine at home

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

Anonymous
04-01-02, 03:50 PM
so fitting the cam and housing needs more work than I thought?-hmmmmmm what would I need if I got a performance cam?-I know they make em for 1.3s,oh I dont know!-my bro says he can rehone the block-I may be able to butcher an astra engine at the breakers at a guess

sideskirts soon

Anonymous
05-01-02, 03:16 PM
I have a 1.2 with the shity pirbeurg carb but a piper 1.3 fast road/rally cam,magnex 1.3 s/s system, down pipes&1.3sr manifold &it was last tuned 2months ago and the machine gave me a print out off 69.3...bhp so it's up there with the SR but kicking there arse's.when/if I even both to get the webber carb it should see them off!!

Insurance company's are the real criminals:p

Anonymous
05-01-02, 08:32 PM
So it's quite easy to then Ste.....I was considering doing at one point since I've still got my old 1.2 engine in bits, but no point now I've got the GTE.

Bob......doing what you suggested is easy to do......un-bolt the old cam-box and fit the SR one, then re-fit (using new head gasket and head bolts of course!).

ednovasr.....nice. Has it got any other mods at all? K&N? Ported head?
1.2's can be pretty quick....my Antibes was when the old 1.2 was in and that was totally standard apart from the back box......just well maintained and regularly tuned.

Anonymous
05-01-02, 10:43 PM
my 1.2 is flying at the mo,I dont know why tho!-I had been getting bored of it,but its keeping me and some of lincolns wannabe XR2s entertained!-it was quicker than my mates 1.2 antibes,however Im beginning to long for a 5th gear!-beens Im breakin the gte,Im considering fitting the full suspension,roll bars n brakes etc,then overhauling the engine and dropping in the gte lump for the summer maybe

sideskirts soon