PDA

View Full Version : 6500rpm ->>> 8000rpm

Anonymous
02-01-02, 09:51 PM
6500rpm ->>> 8000rpm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi
was talking to a guy about how I wanted to get 500 more rpm out of my 1.4sri so I could hit 60 in second (only 5mph off!!) and he knows this geezer whos got a laptop and car pluggyinto stuff and says he can get into my ecu and knock it up to about 7500/8000 without the need for a "superchip". is this gonna kill my car long term and would I have power increase all the way up the rev range or would the power just dies. At the moment my car pulls until it hits the limit then bounces back so I reckon it'll easly go further

Anonymous
02-01-02, 11:10 PM
Doesnt the 1.4SRi Nova hit max power at around 5,800 rpm? Why is it so important to you to hit it in 2nd?

If you must do it in 2nd, try putting a 3.9 or 3.7 CWP in the box. Dont try revving a std engine much past 6500 as it will literally self destruct.

You have 3 problems to running at those sorts of revs.. the first one is running hydraulic tappets - too many revs will result in the tappets hydraulic'ing where they lock solid due to pressure. 2nd problem is valve bounce where the valve springs are not strong enough, and the third problem is putting a rod though the block - Ive seen/heard it happen and its very expensive as well as being very dangerous - a piece of metal trying to exit the engine bay at 7000rpm is bloody scary. Good luck :)

Anonymous
02-01-02, 11:22 PM
Im having the cam replaced with an uprated one, all the bits in the head are going to be uprated to (stronger springs etc) so engine wise I think that it should be stronger enough (the head is also portd polished skimmed etc), the valves/guides etc are all new too. the engine itself is in excellent condition internally (ripped it apart to have a nose and clean when the cam belt snapped)
the reason it I wanted to hit 60 in second was cause when I do 0-60 runs I was changing into 3rd for just 5 mph, I also like to have that little bit extra umph out of each gear.

Dunno bout hitting the max power bit. it'll pull to 6500 in every gear (well 6400 in 5th). I have got a graph from a rolling road and the bhp line just went up and didnt go down so I reckon part must of been missed of the sheet when printed

Anonymous
03-01-02, 12:03 AM
I thought i read somehwere about tha vaux engine beeing safe up to around 8000RPM?

Anonymous
03-01-02, 01:18 AM
Cant you just put a 1.2 4 speed box in it, Mine goes right to 65/70 before i need to change to 3rd

Anonymous
03-01-02, 12:28 PM
ul probly find ur cam range goes upto 7300-7400 so ul notice a big drop in power around that RPM, also u shud have uprated rod bolts before you go reving above 7500 rpm, and it certainly isnt worth the hassle unless you like rebuilding your engine frequently

Anonymous
03-01-02, 03:33 PM
Paulrobo,

To be quite honest with you, the bottom end is one of the strongest items out there on a small car, but theyre made to manufacturing tolerances which can be a bit lax and at those kinds of revs, you dont really want to find out that the balancing is not quite right.

Dogz, have you tried doing 0-60s and changing up a little earlier (around 6000-6200rpm) without easing off the throttle? If youre good you wont overrev the engine (though you will wear the clutch) but itll be at 50odd mph then and perhaps more in the power band?

Dannova12, the reason youre Nova box hits that speed in 2nd is because it has long ratio and a longer final drive (CWP). If he fitted the CWP from a 4 speed box (I think its 1 3.7 or a 3.9?) he would also pass the 60 mark in 2nd.

Anonymous
05-01-02, 04:42 AM
if you want to hit 8000rpm you gotta also consider your oil pump not being up to delivering the right pressure or boom. my 1600 8v used to rev to around 7200 safely fully tuned on twin 40's and that was about it. just learn how to change gear quicker or buy a quickshift instead of killing an engine.

the 16v lumps are good for 7750rpm with cossie big end bolts in, maybe the 1400-1600 8v's are aswell, i dunno

JUST DONT KILL IT!!!!!!!!