PDA

View Full Version : Annoying 1.2

Anonymous
30-12-01, 10:09 PM
Right, bear with me on this. GF's 1.2 Antibes has a problem with high revs. It is the best idling car I have ever driven (but it is very tappety; 2 have seized I think), but refuses to rev beyond about 4 to 4.5k. It also gets a bit rough and jittery at higher revs. At low revs in 4th or 5th at 30, 40, 50 mph it's fine, but on the motorway you can feel the roughness slightly. I've swapped the carb, ignition module, coil and HT leads from a known good engine to no avail. Also lately it's taken to stalling when it should be idling, without affecting it's already mediocre performance. The only idea I've got is changing the fuel pump.

Anyone...help...?

Anonymous
31-12-01, 01:23 AM
set fire to the car, just i should be doing :)

"I'm a junky with a monkey"

Anonymous
31-12-01, 12:44 PM
Wot mileage has it done? May benefit from a top end overhaul??

Anonymous
31-12-01, 01:04 PM
It's done 110k. No history.

Anonymous
31-12-01, 02:20 PM
That's a fair bit if nothinks bin done. You could try a few others of the basics -new plugs??

Anonymous
31-12-01, 03:00 PM
check exhaust isn't blocked as this can restrict reving the cam lobe for the fuel pump can wear out too but if it has the cam is usually shot too!

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

Anonymous
31-12-01, 06:18 PM
Hmm, interesting point, it does have a really silly exhaust note above 3k rpm, although the whole system from the manifold looks less than a year old. Maybe some exhaust paste is blocking the pipe somewhere. I may try swapping the plugs first before taking the exhaust to bits!

Anonymous
02-01-02, 11:50 PM
My old A-reg revved easily up to and above 5.5K.....and that had over 195,000 miles on it, was blowing smoke, needed a re-bore, new rings and the head re-building.

My 1.2 Antibes on the other hand, only had 95K (ish), blew no smoke, ran beautifully but sometimes would not rev over 3.5K......why? Well, I never found out 'cos the head gasket blew, I burnt a hole through a piston and one of the block water core plugs popped before I had chance to fix the problem!

Check the dizzy, 'cos I know mine was fooked.

When I first fitted my Weber 32/34 to the Antibes (now with a 1.3SR engine since the old 1.2 was now dead), it would not rev above 2K rpm! struggled to start, and kept cutting out.
I fitted a carb re-con kit, and it sorted everything.....BUT, you say you've swapped the carb......are you sure the one you swapped to it is ok?

Anonymous
03-01-02, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I've been swapping bits from my 1.2 engine which was removed to fit a 1.8/ 2.0 engine. I could just keep up with this when it was being driven to my house after I bought it, so I know this engine is 'good'. We don't want to fit any other engines as my girlfriend only has a provisional licence and the insurance is ?600+ already!
I was thinking of a 1.4i for later on though...