PDA

View Full Version : bigger better gearboxes

Anonymous
02-01-02, 12:01 PM
looking at upgrading gear boxes. just want to get my grips around gear boxes and all (nothing majorly technicall). my car (1.4)has a F13 box in it. what would happen if I stuck say a F20 in. (lets assume it would fit). would it be better or worst. on a more realistic level what would happen if i stuck a F15/16 box in. would I find an improvment in speed/acceleration or not.

Anonymous
02-01-02, 02:41 PM
F10 yes exc 1.0
F13 yes
F15 yes
F16 no
F18 no
F20 no
F28 no

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Driver required to take car to VBOA/TRAX apply at ste@novaload.net

Anonymous
02-01-02, 07:48 PM
Assuming yours is an F13 CR (close ratio) stick with it as it has pretty good ratio's. You can change the F/D but it probably won't increase performance on std. car enuff to be worthwhile.

Anonymous
02-01-02, 07:53 PM
Dogz...

The F13 and F10 boxes are very similar apart from the casing being different. I havent dealt with the F15 box, but I believe this is the Corsa box. The F20 is the Astra GTE box (not sure if thats all or just Mk3 onwards) and the F28 is the Calibra 4x4 box isnt it (correct me someone)?

Personally I would stick with the F13 box as theres no advantage in upgrading boxes as far as I know. What you can do though, is improve the perfomance of your existing box/casing. Firstly remember the CWP (final drives) are available in 3.7, 3.9, 4.1, 4.3 and (very very rare) 4.5.

Increasing the final drive lowers the gearing of the car so a 4.5 accelerates well but tops out at probably 90-95mph@7000rpm on a standard gear cluster. Also, there is the CR cluster and the std cluster that could be fitted. You could even move to a straight cut cluster or dogbox, but that not really for the road :)

Does this help or further confuse?

Anonymous
02-01-02, 09:59 PM
yeah like on grand turismo. used to have fun getting 0-60 on my skyline in a couple of seconds using all 6 gears. it seems that them for the sake of the gains i'll probably get it isnt worth it for my engine and the hassle. Just wait until I get a bigger engine. thanks though.