PDA

View Full Version : Dizzy waaaaaaaay out

Sirnixalot
16-04-07, 11:08 PM
Well my engine is back together after a few hiccups but the dizzy is giving me ****

i have to adjust the dizzy all the way forward (twisting the top toward the front of the car) to get it to run.

Can i take the dizzy apart and rotate the rotor arm independent of the part that goes into the end of the camshaft?

london_chris
17-04-07, 12:01 AM
same problem here mate, i need to get the timing done with a strobe but i havent got the cam cover on so i have no timing marks, doing it by ear doesnt seem to be working for me

Adam
17-04-07, 12:09 AM
What engine.
If you've had to turn the dizzy right the way forward, something is wrong.

Leads on wrong places or something.

mowgli
17-04-07, 12:15 AM
if it is a carb model, the advance retard mechanism in the dizzy is probably broken. to test it, pull the little vacuum pipe off and suck it. if the engine note changes, then it is ok. if it doesn't, then it is broken. get a new mechanism.

burgo
17-04-07, 12:24 AM
sounds more like the cam is a tooth out if you cant get enough adjustment on the dizzy

Sirnixalot
17-04-07, 04:22 PM
sorry, its a 1.3sr lump

a tooth out sounds probably...will check it for sure tonight and let you know how it went, thanks :thumb:

Sirnixalot
17-04-07, 10:33 PM
both timing lights i have are shafted

but if i have to rotate the dizzy forward does that mean i have to rotate the cam back a tooth?

burgo
17-04-07, 10:42 PM
you dont need a timing light to line up the timing marks, once they are lined up properly you should have enough adjustment. if not then then yes the cam wants to go back a tooth

big gra
17-04-07, 10:44 PM
make sure the leads are in the right place! mine ran when i put it back together with the leads a quarter out on the dizzy but had to twist the dizzy to get it to run!

burgo
17-04-07, 10:46 PM
thats a good point, there should be a mark on the dizzy to show you where to put no1 lead, you may have to take the dizzy cap off to see the mark

big gra
17-04-07, 10:59 PM
just been out in the dark n cold to check my nova, the leads shud be in order 1342 going anti-clockwise, and number 1 should be bottom left closest to the rad, hope this helps!

burgo
17-04-07, 11:26 PM
on what engine is that tho big gra as on my 1.6 no1 is on the top of the dizzy

Adam
18-04-07, 12:58 AM
just been out in the dark n cold to check my nova, the leads shud be in order 1342 going anti-clockwise, and number 1 should be bottom left closest to the rad, hope this helps!
Lol.

As burgo said, top right is always no1 on ohc 8v's, then 3-4-2, in anti clockwise.

Sirnixalot
18-04-07, 10:59 AM
ive aligned all the marks on the crank and cam pulley but still get the problem

i have the plug leads arranged as is in the haynes, which is the way big gra has his. i will try it with 1 and the top then 342 anti clockwise.

thanks for the help guys

big gra
18-04-07, 02:22 PM
if it helps mine is a 1.4 sr, it all depends on if the dizzy has been put on the cam in the correct place, sometimes you cant notice until you come to set the timing and have to move the leads so that they are set right, as long as you go on the basis that they are in order 1342 going anti-clockwise you should be able to find a place that it is ok with a bit of adjustment!

Sirnixalot
18-04-07, 07:20 PM
did it like you said big gra and it worked, was bashing my head in as i know i timed the cam and crank up properlylol

works fine now though :thumb: and i must say it goes like stink compared to what it used to:D