PDA

View Full Version : Key Stuck...Help?!

KSRY
14-04-07, 10:01 PM
So there I was, just parked up outside the pub last night, got out the car, went n got a subway BMT, got back in the car, and put my keys in the transmission and turned it once, ate my BMT (Very Nice) and went to pull my keys out, and they were stuck. I did everything i could to them, they turn the engine on no problem, but they're stuck in the 1 position (the position after you can withdraw them), so i tried driving the car a little but still no luck, so a bit annoyed, I came home, and stayed in like a boring old man.
Woke up this morning, rang my man who knows everything you could possibly want to know about cars, and he said try some WD40 and try and ease them out...So I did, no luck, they will not give at all, in the off direction (I hope this all makes sense).
Luckily for me, I have a manual immobiliser, so the car cannot be stolen that easily, nor do I have a great amount of ICE, except a stereo where you need tweezers to take the CD out, which if any theives are reading, your more than welcome to have, so at the moment, the cars on my drive, with the key stuck in and an unlocked door.
Now my mate a couple of weeks ago messed up his Ka boot lock, it cost him 200quid to have it repaired, I don't really want to pay that, especially as I'm selling the car soon, I know its a rare problem but if anyone has any ideas or solutions, they would be greastly appreciated, thanks.

hightower
14-04-07, 10:33 PM
try tapping the side of the ignition barrel with a hammer and punch/screwdriver but be very gentle and see if this helps at all! was it a foot long or 6"?

Jon_nova1
15-04-07, 06:54 PM
tap the ignition barrel? lol

take the cowling off, on the ignition barrel you'll see a small hole, 1-2MM thick, put a small thing in there, like abit of a metal coat hanger, with the key in the position one you'll be able to pull the lock out of the barrel, hopefully it'll be the lock thats jammed rather than the steering lock, fit a new lock after seeing what caused the problem, and maybe cut the old lock in half to get the key out lol

come to think of it i might have a lock lying around, i could have a look for it and post it to you if you need it?

Jon_nova1
15-04-07, 07:01 PM
come to think of it i may have the whole column

Novasport
15-04-07, 07:46 PM
New lock sets are about ?70 for the whole car & they are a piece of p!ss to replace. Do you not have a spare key to lock the car with?

KSRY
16-04-07, 09:50 PM
Yeah I do have the spare key but like I said, the car can't be nicked and theres nothing inside of any real value, so if I did lock and some little pikey came along and saw the key in the ignition, he'd probbly smash the window to try it, I tried what jon_nova1 suggested, nice idea, but it didn't work, the key isn't moving, I'll let you know about the lock set, i also tried tapping the barrel, again no luck, it was only a 6", but it was tres nice!!

Jon_nova1
16-04-07, 10:59 PM
well i've looked in my garage and i do have the full column with a lock, ill send it out to you if you want? its only going to sit in my garage doing nothing like it has done for the last year ;)