PDA

View Full Version : damn wheel

Anonymous
17-10-00, 02:57 AM
I need to replace my steering wheel . I've loosened the nut and left it on a couple of turns but no matter how much i pull or twist the wheel it wont budge any ideas?

Anonymous
17-10-00, 09:15 AM
You need some sort of gear puller or make a wheel puller with threaded bar. DON'T HIT IT WITH A BIG HAMMER. You will sperate the coapsable part of the stearing column trust me. Also theres a fair chance when it comes of it will hit you in the face, which hurts. Try machine mart for gear puller.

Anonymous
17-10-00, 02:43 PM
I had to take my wheel off when my car nearly got robbed, they managed to break the stearing lock but couldnt get the crook-lock off!
Anyway it was hard to get off but we did it. In the haynes manual it says u need a steering wheel puller, but no-matter how hard i tried
nobody had one, and i wasnt gunna pay a garage to do this.
Loosen the nut like youve done, leaving on a couple of turns
The get two big mates aswel as yourself, get two of u inside the
car at the front and one leaning in from the outside, then all three
of u need to tug/rag/pull at the same time. It is on very tight, but
keep pulling and it will sort of POP OFF!
Trust me it works.
Tony.

Anonymous
17-10-00, 06:13 PM
paul jackson says you may knacker it if you hit it
but undoing the bolt under the brake paedal at the end of the coloumn just before the flexable section will reduce the change of braking the coloumn if you do need to hit it if you havn't got a puller

gaz

Anonymous
17-10-00, 06:24 PM
squirt loads ov wd 40 around the splines as well and dont forget to grease the splines b4 u refit the wheel