PDA

View Full Version : This is becoming a joke!!!

Anonymous
26-12-01, 04:34 PM
well when i though i had all my car fin i got my mate to tow me and try startin it that way, would it start would it fcuk. so though started to check my timing got my mates bro to av a look and found out that it was out by about 6-7 teeth:O. Anyway set it all up and fired up no probs, but it was missin an petrol was gettin chucked out the number 1trumpet on the 40's and makin a tickin noise. well anyway did a comp test and cyclinder 1 was well low compared with the other cylinders. we reckon it has slightly bent a valve, thats y its spitin out petrol cause its not burnin it up.also when we start it and take off the ht lead off spark plug one it dont make a diff. wat do u reckon it is the valve bent slighty? also y as it bent just cylinder one valve/valves and no others are bent, cause i would of though it would of bent at least number1 and 4 as the pistons go up together???? wat do u lot reckon bend valve, could it be a dodgy lifter but ive just bought new ones ???? aso if it is bent which one would it b inlet or outlet or both.

Anonymous
26-12-01, 04:59 PM
sounds like the inlet bent cause if it was sealing properly you would get no blow back
u checked the spark timing on the dizzy?

16v Nova - Toolkit, Trouble, Points and great expence all come as standard :)

2.0 16v back soon :D

Anonymous
26-12-01, 07:09 PM
wat do u mean that when the cam is lined up the dizzy cap points at number1, if so yes i have checked tis so u do fink its a bent valve, so can u expalin y no other ones are bent is tis poss just one bending????

Anonymous
27-12-01, 08:59 AM
check the timing with a timing light

Anonymous
27-12-01, 09:04 AM
Bent inlet valve.

Anonymous
27-12-01, 12:28 PM
I agree. If you were that far out you need to revise your procedures.
Get the head off and get it to head place. If its a Blydenstein head you will need to get him to get you another valve and check that the guide etc hasn't been damaged.

When you put it back together, set No1 piston and bit back from TDC. Tighten the head fully down. Set the cam to its mark at the top of the cam cover. Turn the crank so that the bottom sprocket dot lines up with its mark in the housing/sump. Check this by taking No.1 plug out and using a piece of wire move the crank back and forth to ascertain that the piston is def.at TDC. Quadruple check this. Then b4 you put the cam belt on turn the cam sprocket half a tooth clockwise (towards the front of the car). This will make sure that it lines up accurately when the belts on. When all tightened check again that all marks are where they should be. Remove all plugs and turn everything by hand a few cycles as a final check.

Anonymous
27-12-01, 01:19 PM
or get ste to do it ;)

Anonymous
27-12-01, 05:13 PM
mate i think it could be 1 of your hydrlic lifters sticking .Did you say they were new.i bet you ?200 pounds its that it happened to me:)you should be able to pust them in with your hands if you carnt then they are fcuked mate.B-)

Anonymous
27-12-01, 05:22 PM
yup took the head off and it didnt look as if te alves ere bent, so took it to a head place did like a vacuum check to c if the valves were leakin they were all spot on and straight. found out it was a dodgy lifter and i got um new but not standard cause stardardswere ?91 and these cot me ?32. so i took the shitty ones back and bought sum standard ones, alls thats left is to refit. learnt my lesson now dont acept anything but standard:) when i fit them shall i just put them staright in from the packet? as in the haynes it goes it goes sink um in oil and charge um, but the prob last time was it was filled wiv oil and made the valve stick open or sumin so it dont sound like a good idea to fill um up???

Anonymous
27-12-01, 06:47 PM
you should soak them over night in oil