PDA

View Full Version : No Dash Lights......

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:29 PM
Flipping piece of crap! lol went round roundabout last night and it clonked out! Wouldn't start.......... then got it started after leaving it, No rev counter and no ingtion lights :confused: got her home, with the lights getting dimmer and dimmer and dimmer and me not being able to see the speedo BUT the leccy windows working:confused:. Went to start it again and nothing......... on goes the jump pack and fired start up!! Checked fuses, all ok. Got told its part of the ignition barrel, common fault, so i've picked one up from vaux for just over ?15 including :D. Will fit it when i get home and see what happens, Hopefully i wouldn't need to fit a new battery as mines been on charge all day! Good luck to me!

EDIT :- Got home fitted new ignition barrel thing - no change, changed alternator - no change, its kinda charges, but ive been told it won't charge if there's no battery light. Any idea's ASAP please

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 08:34 PM
erm, whoever said its the ignition barrel is lying i think lol

it sounds like damp maybe? or lose earth?

to see if its charging take the live of the battery when its running, if its not charging the engine will stall ;)

Asa-James
12-04-07, 08:36 PM
put a jump cable between the top of the engine and the battery negative terminal. if the car fires up, check the gearbox earth strap. and i was told the same about the ignition part (the little black thing on the end) but i took mine apart and cleaned it.

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:36 PM
I thought it was a bit off, but supposedly (don't remember) it happneded to my brother's, but then his never started afterwards and i checked the earths, can't find an earth on g/box though. And aslong as the battery's charged it'll keep starting, but ever time its run it drains battery.......

Asa-James
12-04-07, 08:38 PM
should be on the end plate to the inner wing, just below where the coil pack is mounted

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:39 PM
Yeah that's what i thought but i don't remember there ever being one there EVER.

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 08:40 PM
there may also be one on the inlet maniold alternator bracket

well try the jump lead from the engine block to the negative ;)

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:41 PM
Yeah there is, goes on the other end of the Adjuster arm, as such.

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:45 PM
Yeah but from what i've been told, the alternator needs the battery light to work, not blown etc, for it too charge, and with no light it won't charge, so taking live off wont do any good, and it starts anyway, so its not a bad earth or it wouldn't start.......?

Asa-James
12-04-07, 08:49 PM
>lost<

Asa-James
12-04-07, 08:52 PM
so it starts off the jump pack, but no dsh lights at all? will it start up without the jump pack, even after a long charge?

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 08:53 PM
wait there, i dont know what im going on about, the dash lights are nothing to do with an earth in the engine bay lol

the lights got dimmer, the car lights or dash lights? and the windows went fine?

when you say it wouldn't start do you mean it wouldn't turn over due to battery discharge or just wouldn't start? if what your saying is true about the battery light, then it could well be the earth behind the dash display

coochiSR
12-04-07, 08:57 PM
novaSR-Ish :- Starts after long charge, but not after its been driven.
Jon_Nova1 :- Both lights outside and in, and dash lights N/W im refering to handbrake light, oil light, battery light, warning light, rev counter, fuel gauge and temp gauge. And it wouldn't start due to flat battery, and uh oh, sounds like a dahs job :(

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:00 PM
so the electric windows worked perfectly fine, but you had no lights inside or out?

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:02 PM
I don't know, i thought i'd put the windows up and not touch them for the 20mins the car was running, incase i couldn't put them back up, with lights on......... If that makes sense

Asa-James
12-04-07, 09:07 PM
so its not charging/holding charge, id say try a battery, if you have a spare one about

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:07 PM
arr i thought i read above the electric windows worked fine,

well if like you say the battery wont charge if the lights out it sounds like the earth has come lose behind the dash display, if you take the display out, follow the cables up that plug into the dash and there should be a quite a thick brown earth there ;)

that earth earths the dash to get signal to it, so if the light aint lit and wont charge the battery it sounds like that?

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:10 PM
Well my current battery (after being charged), akwarding to the tester, is as good as the new one. And i did have a look for an earth behind dash, half stripped, and couldn't really see a fat deal TBH

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:12 PM
well you'll be having fun if no one else knows what it is for definate lol

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:13 PM
Dammit, and The windows did work fine, but i only used them once, after id got in running.

Asa-James
12-04-07, 09:15 PM
the battery tester will only test voltage, 12v = good battery. but if theres no amps, it will have no power to run anything. if that makes sense...

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:16 PM
No the one i got checks the amps, You have to set it to the amp's on the battery and it tell's me if its good or not, can also check the volts too.

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:18 PM
so did the windows work fine when you had no lights outside or not? lol

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:20 PM
I still had lights outside, just very very dim, TBH im not sure the lights where on when i put the windows up......... AND then after i dorve it the lights got dimmer. lol

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:23 PM
well it sounds like the earth behind the dash stopping your dash lights from working, and your theory of the battery wont charge lol meaning it'd get dischrged and yer we'll leave the windows at that lol

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:24 PM
Yeah thanks alot matey, bit late now but will have to have a look tomorrow....

Jon_nova1
12-04-07, 09:25 PM
no problem mate, but no doubt someone will come online before you look at it and say its happened to me and it was something really simple lol

coochiSR
12-04-07, 09:26 PM
Hopefully [FINGERS CROSSED/TOUCH WOOD] Will let ya know though ;)

coochiSR
13-04-07, 08:11 PM
Lose connection, all good now, thanks for help!

Jon_nova1
13-04-07, 08:33 PM
yes i was right, now everyone bow down to my masterfull knowledge lol