PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!!

Anonymous
22-12-01, 09:28 AM
well finally i had the snapped headbolt removed. In the end i rang an engineering place to cum and do it, they ended up puttin in a new insert. So i wapped all my head etc on,started to tighten the headbolts, but i realy dont feel safe doin it all i think of is that ting of a snappin bolt it also feels like its still tighening to much, im only doin it 18ftlb/25nm, but it still feels like its gonna snap so i left it. the torque wrench im usi is a snap on but it quite small is this why it feels tight, what do u suggest? get a bigger torque wrench?

Anonymous
22-12-01, 01:11 PM
if u do need another wrench stu davies or dave bound will lend u 1 im sure ;)

scum stripped my car

Anonymous
22-12-01, 04:41 PM
couldnt believe it the two torque wrenchs i had were of, lent one from my local mechanic wiv a big bar to do the degrees after, worked a treat. Now the **** wont start left the booster leads on for about 15mins lettin it charge from mates car but just turns over really slow, tryed petrol down the bores still no go, there is a spark, tryed push startin it nope. Its bin standin for bout week now, bearin in mind my engine is quite tight and high comp due to mods. ill try push startin it down a hill 2mozz c if that works in the mean tme any suggestion? cheers

Anonymous
22-12-01, 06:23 PM
tow it mate. its a 1.4 nova with hydraulic tappets i take it uve got? u need oil pressure to obviously get them to operate. ive had it with astras and novas before. if uve got fuel and spark, compression, timing etc are all ok, then tow it, and i can pretty much guarantee it will work.

Anonymous
23-12-01, 10:14 AM
yer one fing i aint got a front towin hook its sorta covered by the body kit opps.

Anonymous
23-12-01, 07:12 PM
bugger! thats what u need to do though, take the body kit off i reckon, end of day no good havin a body kit ont car that wont run!

Anonymous
24-12-01, 06:05 PM
also i was wonderin when i put my lifters in all i did was get um out the pack how they were rub abit of oil over them the stuck um in, but i was readin the haynes after i done it all and it goes if replacin new lifters put them in oil and pump with hand to charge them i didnt do tis does tis matter? still cant start it could tis be the reason pleas say i dont av to take everyfing apart again? i fink ill get my mate to tow my boxin day c if that works.

Anonymous
25-12-01, 05:49 PM
You should have charged them first.

I'd say take it all apart and immerse them in oil, charge then reassemble.

You may have done damage to the lifters trying to start the thing but then what do i know!

Anonymous
25-12-01, 07:05 PM
well dont thy drain in the morns thats y they tapp for abit til they fill up? 2mozz im gonna get towed and try startin it that way wat do ya fink

Anonymous
27-12-01, 05:55 PM
Yeah,

when you're car is off, lets say over night. on pariculaly cold morining you will notice a distinct tapping from the engine for a few seconds, this is cause the oil is very thick and cant get round the engine to keep the lifters fully charged (more noticeable from inside the car with the interior stripped out)