PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel bearings

Anonymous
25-12-01, 07:38 AM
I need to change the wheel bearings on the front of my Nova, is this an easy job without a press, does anybody have any tips on how to get them in/out of the hub etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous
25-12-01, 09:16 AM
ok its not an easy job without the press.

what is an easy job is finding a nice new corsa/tigra in a scrappy with good wheel bearings and paying ?10 for the front hub.

sorted

the corsa bearings are a lot better than the nova design.

or u could take off your hub and then pass it on to sumbody with a press to do the swap b4 refitting the hub yourself

Micky@novaload.net

Anonymous
25-12-01, 05:41 PM
I had to replace one on the front on my nova, its not an easy job without a press, try and find a round chunk of metal that covers the whole bearing, then just tap it out with a hammer until it drops out, when you put the new one in put one clip in first then coat the outting of the bearing with wd40, it will go in easier, if still not sure buy a work shop manual from halfords

Anonymous
25-12-01, 08:12 PM
thanks guys, i thought it wouldnt be straight forward, i managed to change the bearings on my old Astra 1 GTE a few years back, so i thik i'll have a bash at it. Wish i had a press though, but like they say, you can't have everything.

Thanks for you help. :-)

Anonymous
26-12-01, 11:31 AM
Tip:
If you are trying to get a new bearing outer casing into a hub or wotever put it in the freezer for a few hours 1st as the shrinkage can be enuff to make it go in a bit easier.
You can also buy copper mallets and punches to avoid damaging stuff.