PDA

View Full Version : to carb or not to carb!

Anonymous
19-12-01, 09:19 AM
Ive been offered some dortello (spelling?) Throtte bodies for my GTE.
Im not sure if i sould do this conversion. any advice?
How easy is it to convert?
Do i need a new fuel pump/ignition system etc or can my old one be used?
How much more power could i expect to gain?
any useful advice?
Cheers!

Anonymous
19-12-01, 07:04 PM
how about gettin the non rust conversion! and a re spray! and you do need a new fuel pump! and a regulator

Anonymous
19-12-01, 09:32 PM
??

Anonymous
20-12-01, 02:59 PM
Such helpful advice dan...

Anonymous
20-12-01, 03:57 PM
Try mailing a guy on here called A-N-T. I can remember when he first joined he wrote down his engine spec, which included twin 48 dellorto's i think. I can't find the post through the archives, but i'm pretty sure he has. I think this is the same conversion as you are talking about, it might not be but at least his is alot more relevant/useful than any of the other replies to this post.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous
20-12-01, 07:09 PM
r u on about carbs cause if u are they wont b good for u unless u dump ur injection system as u av a gte. Unless dellorto make throttle bodies. why the headin "to carb or not to carb" i am confused

Anonymous
20-12-01, 07:32 PM
Yeh i thought this too. I'm guessng he means carbs as i don't think Dellorto make throttle bodies (could be wrong though). Yes you will have to loose the injection system. The carbs will provide the fuelling and the distributor will provide the ignition. This is different to the GSi engine as it relies on the dispac to control ignition. You will need a high pressure fuel pump too.

As for performance, i think A-N-T said his was running at approximately 158bhp, but this was a fully sorted 1650 lump with cam, head work etc... I seem to remember your's being rolling roaded at about 95bhp at Regal? I'd expect you'd see a good 15-20bhp incraese if not more.

Don't hold me to this though, you really need to speak to someone experienced with them.

Anonymous
20-12-01, 07:36 PM
burrows dont do carb m8 do u remmember the days of our sr s! carbs are slags y dont u just wait till summer then u can have my cam! i need to get gav 2 sell me his gsi lump n the bastered still wont sell me the leccy windows!